CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Is a 14' starcraft aluminum v-hull long island sound worthy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Is a 14' starcraft aluminum v-hull long island sound worthy? Reply with quote

Sure to get differant opinions on this one so here it goes............................

is a 14' starcraft "seafarer" aluminum V-hull an acceptable inshore fishing platform?

i had a 15' hobie powerskiff years back and that did pretty well. Much differant boat then the starcraft but only a 1' longer. Never had any issues with that boat. Recently was given the aluminum v-hull. Im thinking this is my new river/sound boat.

opinions? how hairy of waters have you taken your aluminum v-hull?
im not trying to hit the race......just reach the fluke and stripers.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hoppy!

I can help, but need more info.

Starcraft made 4 aluminum models of the Seafarer -> All are semi-V utility boats for various uses and with different hp motors max.
Do you know which model your looking at?

SeaDog1
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have a 14ft sylvan classic with a 20hp merc on the back. It doesn't haull ass by any means. Definitely sound worthy. On a calm day, you can take her as far as the gas you have. Went from niantic to the sand shoal and back. 20 mile trip roughly. Been to the west side of fisher's. About 7 miles from my launch. There's plenty of area to hit fluke and stripers. And I mean PLENTY.

I've been boating for a good portion of my life, and been in some conditions where if I didn't know what I was doing, it coulda turned out bad. The sound can get dangerous in a matter of 15 mins. Sometimes less. So, if you're out pretty far and you know you gotta decent trip back, it'll be twice as long if there's 5ft swells. When you notice it startin to get pretty rough, TURN AROUND

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
hoppy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have to get the model # but i know it will take up up to a 30hp engine. this thing would fly with a 30 on it. It came with a 9-1/2 johnson that should move it ok. It looks to be a solid boat. Needs some interior work as it sat since '93. She will be brought back to live over the winter to be used once again next year. I really dont need another boat but since this one was given to me and i will not put my bassboat in saltwater or the northen part of the river this will fill those areas nicely.

thanks for the input. i will get the model # up later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: