CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Itchin' for some Fishin'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

Kinda curious as to when y'all start your fishing seasons off. I realize the weather has some control over that and depending on when things start to warm up depends on when you start. I'm planning on starting my year off with the first trip being on april 18th or 19th. Looking at the last two years recorded water temps it seems that might be the ealriest you could go and have a higher chance of not getting frozen and catching the big Skunk. On an unrelated note. This time of year gives me some crazy ideas and one of them is to plan a kayak fishing trip out of gloucester for possible cod or Bluefin Tuna. Crazy Right ( the tuna part mainly). The thing that sparked this was last year i went of several fishing trips out of gloucester on one of the yankee fleet party boats and I have the Navionics App on my phone ( an awesome tool for fishing By the way ) and I marked each of the stops we made and paid close attention to the contours of the areas we had the best luck fishing in. I noticed a pattern in the areas that produced best. All of the stops were only approximately 1.75 to 2 miles from the gloucester shore. That's definitely kayak fishing territory. Also the areas we were in were only 1 mile from the area of water my dad and i used to fish many years ago for bluefin tuna. The tuna in that area never got Huge like the ones you see on Wicked Tuna ( the largest one we ever landed was 62 inches and it was released as were most of the tuna we caught ). Does anyone have any experience fishing Gloucester , and do any of these ideas interest anyone else ? i think it would be alot of fun planning a weekend trip up to gloucester and fishing that area.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

Good post, I'm curious as well.

Planning on going whenever outside temps hit 50s. Sometimes that happens in March....

I just want to get out there. New to this Kayak thing but man, I can't wait to get out there!

Can't really find this app though...
fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Good post, I'm curious as well.

Planning on going whenever outside temps hit 50s. Sometimes that happens in March....

I just want to get out there. New to this Kayak thing but man, I can't wait to get out there!

Can't really find this app though...

I'm not sure if they have it for iPhone but the app I use is called "Navionics boating" , its basically the same layout as a GPS / fishfinder and it shows all of the bathometric charts so you can see the different spots to fish and give you a better chance at finding that secret "honey hole"

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

I'm deeply offended that you assumed I'm an apple user.....kidding Smile

I'm on an S5, but still can't pull that app up on my play store, weird. Same for my PC actually (just tried).

I do see Ski Navionics US and Europe though....hmm
fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
I'm deeply offended that you assumed I'm an apple user.....kidding Smile

I'm on an S5, but still can't pull that app up on my play store, weird. Same for my PC actually (just tried).

I do see Ski Navionics US and Europe though....hmm

I just found it , you have to search "boating HD"

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Itchin' for some Fishin' Reply with quote

Still a no go
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navionics mobile app is only for iPhone currently. Android and other to follow this year most likely.

If youre trying to access from your computer/laptop, use the "Navionics Web App"

Also getting the itch. Especially since I just moved to a house on the water in Stamford Harbor. Watching the ice melt then reform is taking a toll on me.

If you need an extra for that BFT kayak trip, drop a line my way.
fishndaze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
Navionics mobile app is only for iPhone currently. Android and other to follow this year most likely.

If youre trying to access from your computer/laptop, use the "Navionics Web App"

Also getting the itch. Especially since I just moved to a house on the water in Stamford Harbor. Watching the ice melt then reform is taking a toll on me.

If you need an extra for that BFT kayak trip, drop a line my way.

Their is limited android phone support for the new navionics app, however I am currently using the 2014 version on my droid ulra. I'm not sure which phones or which Android OS it is available on right now

As for the tuna trip I will definitely put some posts up and pm anyone interested in going. I'll probably plan several cod / tuna trips out of Gloucester this year And it would be safer to have a group of people out there on kayaks. There is a tuna permit you would gave to purchase though so depending on how much info I can gather on doing it will depend on wether or not its worth the expense of the permit. However cod fishing just requires a fishing license and CT and MA are reciprocating states so you can fish MA waters with a CT saltwater license.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: