CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jig Technique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Jig Technique Reply with quote

I've really been working on fishing flipping and pitching jigs into weeds (submerged and matted). I've seen this technique produce a lot of nice fish. I have gotten my pitching down pretty accurate, stil get small overruns when trying to get enough slack in the line to let the bait free fall in deeper water. I also get the slack line tangled around the rod a lot when the bait is falling. One of these days a big one is going to take it when im trying to fix that and Il be in trouble...

Caught a few fish so far, dont know how many ive missed my not getting the ones that take it on the way down. I watch my line but its hard to tell when its hitting weeds and when a fish takes it. The ones I caught I got after twitching it on the bottom and even then the hits were subtle. Im going with the when in doubt, set the hook mentality which has resulted in a few embarrassing moments but Id rather be safe than sorry.

Any tips on using jigs or pitching them? Are they effective all the time of do you use them at certain hours/seasons?

I use mostly black/blue or no skirt and craw/beaver trailers in black or green pumpkin type colors....

I am planning of taking only jigs next time I go out to really put some work in.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jig Technique Reply with quote

mikey5string wrote:
I am planning of taking only jigs next time I go out to really put some work in.

Great idea. I gotta do that, too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to jigs I think they're one of the most versatile lures in bass fishing that fishes well all year long in most any conditions. You can pitch&flip weeds, crawl and drag them in deeper water, work them in deeper structure effectively and stay in contact with it longer than say cranking, swim a jig instead of throwing spinnerbaits, etc. the possibilites are endless. When the conditions get tough you can downsize to a small finesse jig, trim and thin the skirts out, add any kind of trailer you want. A favorite of mine in colder months is a 3/16oz jig with a zoom trick worm trailer and the skirt trimmed thin and short. I pretty much stick with a black/blue, natural craw, or pb&j color tipped with a netbait paca chunk trailer to match.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ct_Bassman,

Your absolutely correct Thumbs Up

Jigs, and various techniques using them, are the most versitile lures for catching just about any fish on this planet!

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're actually agreeing with me?! Shocked
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah! Why the surprise? Very Happy

I use jigs of all kinds and sizes all the time!

Ice fishing jigs work great even in the summer Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love jigs they are great baits and when that bite is on its so a blast. Building confidence in the jig is a huge part in using it. Once you start getting catching them youll quickly learn how good the jig can be. Fall is a great time to do some jigging. spider jigs are amongst my arsenal.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a guy on a bass boat at Lake McDonough who told me that the spider jig outperformed other jigs for him there. Is there a particular brand of spider jig that you use, hoppy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: