CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jigging Conditions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Jigging Conditions Reply with quote

What are the ideal conditions to toss jigs. I've tried all summer with no success so I was wondering if there are certain times when to use it. Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no real set conditions to catch bass on jigs, because they are such a versitile lure, however there are certain types of cover and structure where they do work best.

During the sprigtime, bass will move to shallow wood and rocks to absorb heat from the sun. Jigs are a great lure to cast, flip, pitch etc to these types of cover and catch fish with when the water is warming. Look for ambush points. The deeper side of a shallow rock. A piece of wood with a brushy overhang on it. A boat dock with posts that stick out into alittle deeper water.

During summer, bass move to docks and thicker types of cover such as grass (both deep and shallow) and liliy pads to shade themselves from the sun and help to camouflage them from prey. Shallow grasslines and deep grasslines hold fish during hte summer and a jig can be effectively fished through them to catch bass. Your main focus when fishing grass, lily pads, and docks in the summer, is shade. Almost everytime bass will be more concentrated in the shaded areas of whatever cover they are holding in or on. If you're fishing grass in the summer, look for holes in the grass and make nice short casts or pitches to them. Let the jig fall straight down and keep your focus on your feel of the jig falling. Most of the time they will hit it on the fall.

In autumn, bass will move shallow again looking to feed up for the winter. Fall in my opinion is just the same as spring but the fish are more agressively feeding in the shallows. Fish any type of cover or structure you can find in the shallows (1 - 8 feet) Make the same type of casts that you would during the summer. Look for ambush points and concentrate your time on fishing them.

Winter is the time to use alittle heavier jig and look for rock and or grass that is out in deep water. Points, and foundations like the ones on Candlewood hold a ton of fish during the winter. This is where you want to experiment with jig size to see what they want. Sometimes big jigs are the right choice while sometimes bass want small hairjigs fished deeper on very light line.

Hope this helps! Any questions dont hesitate to p.m. me!

- Tralli

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man! Thanks for all that info. I know there's a few threads on here about jigs,just none about conditions. But like you said,they are a general lure. Thanks again. I'll give it a ago once I get a new rod. Snapped mine in 2 a few weeks back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: