CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Buy, Sell and Trade – Classifieds
Viewing Topic: Jigging rod?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Jigging rod? Reply with quote

After seeing Mark first hand killing it with the jig, i have decided to buy a med/heavy or heavy rod and start jigging next season. Anyone have any suggestions on setups that wont run me too much over $100? I'd like to buy myself an early christmas present Smile
btw, id like to use a spinning reel with this setup.
Thanks in advance for your input
-Pd
brennan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no reccomendations for a spinning setup, as I fish jigs on a casting rig. I only fish shimano rods now so that is all I would reccomend, though many companys make great rods for lots of dough...

Since this is the b+S, here is a shameless plug that may help a fellow CTFT mamber get into jig fishing....

I have 3 casting rods for sale that make a nice 3 pack of jig rods.....

7' MH shimano clarus (good for worms, spinners and light jigs)
7' H shimano clarus (good for jigs, Frogs in slop, etc)
7'6" H Shimano clarus flippin stick (good for flippin plastics or jigs in the heavy stuff)

All carry a lifetime warranty with OTC replacement at any dealer. All are in mint shape.

You can have all 3 for a hundred bucks and you could be ready for any situation.

Let me know if you are interested via PM

Brennan
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great deal PD, I'd jump on this offer if I were you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd you will love casting reels. They have become a lot more user friendly. I bought a cheap one about 15 years ago and I would rarely use it because I would always backlash it so bad I would have to put new line on it.

This year I bought a Curado and I almost never get birds nest and if I do they are can be pulled out easy. I never had to cut my line with my Curado. You will find that your casting accuracey is way better with a casting reel vs a spinning reel, from my experience anyways. I find my line to last longer on casting reels as well. I think it is due to the lack of line twist that you get with spinning reel.

Justin
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use all shimano stuff as well:
6'10" (mh) and 7'0" (h) clarus casting rods for my jigs with shimano citica d reels.

i have 4 citicas and love them. have looked into some of the other reels from shimano, but for the price you can't beat them.

i agree with slimecoat though- i would jump on that deal for the three rods if i had the money (and three more citicas to go with them)
but currently am putting aside my spending for x-mas and seeing if i get my crucial drop shot and flipping rod that i asked good old santa for. Very Happy

good luck in your buying
MarkO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Brennans rods, save up your money till next spring and but a few nice baitcasting reels to match up with them. Forget the early Christmas present blah, blah, all your gonna do is look at the stuff till spring anyways. If you make the investment now in good gear and force yourself to use it, the benefits will pay off tenfold.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot guys, really.

Brennan, PM sent.
Look forward to seein you all out on the water again next spring.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....now that I am getting a hold of Brennan's three rods, can anyone suggest some inexpensive yet reliable casting reels? Remember....im a college student $$$$
brennan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PD,

Check your PM..I may be your one stop shop....

B
Nickp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revo's are good for 150. Shimanos new citicas are like 120. If you go cheaper then that, dont expect the reel to last more then a season or two.

Its better to buy a 120 dollar reel once then a 60 dollar reel three times.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jigging rod? Reply with quote

pdcrack wrote:

btw, id like to use a spinning reel with this setup.
Thanks in advance for your input
-Pd

You are really going to limit yourself to lighter jigs if you go with a spinning rig. Although the lighter jigs have their place,...most of the time I'm using 1/2 - 1 ounce jigs for lake fishing! So do yourself a favor and learn how to use a baitcaster this winter! You can learn to make a short pitch-cast and/or flip with it while indoors at school. no problem! Wink I will lend you a setup to practice with next time you're coming home,...just let me know! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Buy, Sell and Trade – Classifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: