CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jigging Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Jigging Techniques Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I've been fishing for a while but have never really given jig fishing a try (basically because I have no idea what to do!) yet it seems everyone on here is killing the bass using jigs.

What are the different techniques for jigging, including set up and retrieval? Also, what makes jigging so good at luring bass? Guess I'm not really up to speed regarding this topic so any information you're willing to share would be much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo I know why jig a is so good...it creates a reaction bite...they see it float by there head and *BAM* they gotta grab it.
as far as how to do the technique...I only know what I've read through articles..many knowledge guys on this site with practical application of said technique are much more qualitfied to explain.
cobalt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all about the presentation Very Happy
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not a jig guy but this topic comes up a lot on this forum. Do a search and you will get plenty of good info. I am sure you will get some go replies here as well.

Justin
Tmac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: jigs Reply with quote

I like to make short casts let it hit bottom then eithier shake it a little pop it up off the bottom then let it sink again, I do this about 3 times then real in and throw somewere else,or just cast and drag the bottom
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at some of Just4Fun's posts. Mark has posted pics of hog after hog caught on a jig. He just posted about swimming a jig just under the surface.
olskool53

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly no pro but I can tell you what i like to do. A finesse jig is great for heavy cover where the big boys are hiding. I'll pitch or flip a 3/8 or 1/2 oz finesse jig deep in to the pads, milfoil, lay downs or stumps like mentioned you usually get a reaction strike on the fall but i let it hit bottom and bounce it 2 or 3 times before i retrieve it. Fish it slow! the great thing about jig fishing is it allows you to fish deep in the crud where a tube or worm won't work. Football jigs work great, I like to cast a football jig on to a sandy point, rock pile, sandy bottom or gravel creek bed just let it hit bottom then just slowly reel it in just dragging it on the bottom. If you hit a stump or rock just jig it up a few times and continue to slowly reel it to the boat. I like to go big with my football jigs usually 5/8-3/4 oz. You can really get confused with the color selection, personally I stick with black, browns and chartreuse, natural colors. It seems like year after year my black n blue jigs produce the biggest bass. Same thing with trailers I only use black, brown or chartreuse trailers mostly black. I like to trail my jigs with Paca chunks, small paca craws and twin tail grubs there's a ton of trailers out there you can go broke trying them all. When your jig fishing you need to go heavy on your gear, 7'-7-6" heavy flipping rods (pool sticks) heavy line i use 15 lb floro or 20 lb braid some guys go bigger. Remember with jigs your fishing heavy cover so expect to loose gear! Don't get frustrated, what I did is when i went out i only brought my jigs and trailers with me until ifelt comfortable fishing them. ..........Hope that helps?
Well Pumps - Water conditioning - Tanks
We service most makes of water conditioners!
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I guess I gotta go out and just do some trial and error work. I've got two jigs set up currently, a black football head jig (1/2 oz) with a shaker rattle and black/blue trailer skirt....and a brown/faded orange jig with a powerbait craw dad trailer. Neither gets much use...my rod currently is a 6'6" and spun with 12lb test mono. I have a 7" ugly stick but it needs new line, maybe i'll try the 15 lb and set that up as my practicing jig rod.

So the best place to use jigs would be in heavy cover such as weed beds and lillies? What if the cover is in water only 1-3ft deep? Is it still worth pitching a jig into there or should it be cast into a little deeper water?

Like the avatar btw...that's from Goodfellas right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest thing about the jig is you can fish it shallow or deep!
I've caught 3+ lb fish in less that 3 FOW using a black jig w black craw trailer. I think olskool hit the nail on the head with his suggestions...
After seeing Just4fun pull some monsters out with his jig setup, i started using this bait more and more and now consider it one of my confidence set ups.
Good luck trying it out, im sure youll be hooked on it once you pull out a 5lber Smile
Ryan G.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish it around any shallow cover. Grass, wood, rocks, docks, boats, mooring buoys, etc. The main thing is making multiple pitches with the jig it you are going after shallow fish. Deep is a different story. The big thing with most baits is gaining cinfidence in them. So go out and continue to throw them until you start catching them. You will be a jig fan for life!
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a whirl. Some people pick it up and excell with it, others get flustered and quickly put it down. It will refine your casting accuracy ALOT.

Ive caught bass out of 6inches of water on the jig. Tons in a foot or less. My deepest jig bass have come out of candlewood on humps in 25-35 fow.
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/8 and 1/2 oz i would not condier "finesse" jigs,maybe down south they are but not in the northeast. A finesse jig would be 1/8-1/4 oz. If i where you i would ask tralli about jig fishing because he is one of the best i have ever seen at this technique.
Johnny
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdcrack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre posts are blank Mark Shocked
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that sounds about right for mark...just blank!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: