CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Jigs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Jigs Reply with quote

I have fished jigs before but am still learning. I have only had good luck fishing in rocky areas so far. Any tips on what kind of jigheads to use for different types of situations? e.g grass, weeds, etc...
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... 24 views and still no replys. I guess I'm not the only one in the dark on this subject. Rolling Eyes
djmon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll start...... Very Happy

i love jigs; i started buying a bunch of booyah boo jigs 3/8ths when i first got into them. they have a head designed to be mainly weeds. if your fishing it around rocks and such your more likly to get it wedged into the cracks and its harder to pop out. i later started buying tournament force custom made advantage jigs both flippin and weed heads. the flipping head has a cross eye and flatter head design great for rocks and flat bottems and aids in keeping the hook standing straight up more often. i also started buying componets and putting together my own jigs with a recessed eye and weed design for the head and a few others thanks to a friend on the site. basically what i have learned is this....... minus the different in the hook and weight, the rest is a personal preference i feel. i could tell you that the booyah jigs will catch fish no problem, but its more of are they easy to get in the colors and sizes you want and so on.

my advice would be just get a few styles and try them out and see what you like..... what are you fishing mostly???
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good response Dan,
Very informative, I cant say I knew much at all about jigs, were all still learning, this is why we have this site!

tight lines,

-Crack
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!!!!!! I'm pretty much all over the place, I fish wherever I can, not having a boat leaves me very limited, and sometimes kind of clueless as to what's below the water. I have a pretty good general idea when I'm pulling up weeds on every other cast. And I can tell dropoffs by how far my line will drop further out as opposed to closer. That is helpful though, gona by some more jigs now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.
brennan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of different jigs, but my preference is the ones made by Mike Kane down at Tounament Force. Total custom jobs for the price of a cheap, mass produced store brand....worth a shot by any fisherman...Makes a hell of a spinnerbait too....

www.tfbass.com
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hand made jigs from Joe's jigs, you can get them at Colombia sports, and he may have a website up by now. I use his 3/16oz., 1/4oz, and 3/8oz. jigs. I like the wire weedguards on his weedless jigs. They also come with a wire trailer keeper. The price is right too. I use bass stalker jigs when I want something heavier, like 1/2 or 3/4 oz. But as already stated, it is all personal preference. Find a jig you are comfortable with, feels good, and you have confidence in, and once you learn how to throw them, and where to throw them, you will be catching bigger bass than you are used to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said,..it's a personal choice and there are a lot of decent ones out there. I use "Gman's jigs". He is a friend of mine in MO who makes them by hand from high quality materials for pretty cheap. He also makes them with wire-tied on skirts for a slightly higher price, that'll last forever!

http://www.custombassfishinglures.com/
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further the question...where do you use jigs? I've always thought/heard to use them on hard and rocky bottoms. What about sandy shallows? Gonna give it a try and open water frog today, let you guys know how it turns out.
Old standby push button
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use custom jigs made by Rich Fitzwater out of Kansas. http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/ His jigs are top quality at reasonable prices. I have thrown jigs on flats with good success. BoSox, they are a good way to find out what is on the bottom. They also work well fishing lay downs.

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishinIWasFishin wrote:
To further the question...where do you use jigs?

They can be fished and will catch bass,..literally anywhere that the bass happen to be!! Weeds, rocks, sand, wood, flats, dropoffs, points, humps etc etc etc. .....from 6" of water down to 30+. That's one of the things that makes them a terrific bait is the fact that they are so versatile!! Cool
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to miss a lot of fish on jigs. I read everywhere that as soon as you feel a fish hit set the hook right away because instead of nibbling on it they inhale it. Any tips on this? I feel like the weed guard gets in the way a little bit too. But I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always trim the weed guard down. Cut it on an angle to match the hook. Also trim off 4 or 5 of the strands. Thumbs Up
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll give that a shot, THANKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info guys, thanks for sharing. I have only caught 1 fish on a jig in my whole life, so I can't give you advice. I think the 1 fish I caught was luck BTW.

I always start off the fishing season saying that this is gonna be the year I get confidence in the jig, but after a few skunked outings, I go back to my confidence baits - spinner baits, plastic worms and poppers. I would love to spend the day with a jig pro and get tips Laughing ... hint, hint Laughing

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: