CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Site Suggestions, Enhancements, and Troubles Resolved
Viewing Topic: joining before viewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you want the site to be viewed only by registered users?
yes
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
no
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
dont care
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

atkins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: joining before viewing Reply with quote

Folks have shown concern about people posting their so called "secret spots"
and having people finding them through google and whatnot.

Make people register before being able to view, maybe this will get rid of the lurkers, or get them to join, more people posting the more we can learn from one another.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you do something like that people will join and just lurk. You could possibly make the reports members only and you would have to have a certain number of posts to view them but it could also turn people away. Not sure there is a right answer to this except post what you want and don't post what you don't want.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: joining before viewing Reply with quote

atkins wrote:
Folks have shown concern about people posting their so called "secret spots"
and having people finding them through google and whatnot.

Make people register before being able to view, maybe this will get rid of the lurkers, or get them to join, more people posting the more we can learn from one another.

Well, you know how I voted. I don't post about "secret spots" anyway...not much good can happen by broadcasting secrets to countless strangers. My concern is that this site consists of roughly 80% lurkers...people who have no intention of helping others on the site. Forcing registration doesn't mean they'll suddenly start posting, but it will stop our info from being indexed in search engines. I think that's a good thing. Once you cross paths with a shady angler, you'll be a lot more careful who you share info with.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
atkins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One another concern ive noticed is one people get upset when some broadcasts a spot, well that you just have to suck it up, I feel its that persons right to say I caught this here, on this, yadda yadda yadda.

On the flipside people dont want lake "x" crap either, how about a bragging board where the location of your catch isnt expected and its ok to just show off your fish.

We are fisherman, we brag, just look at everyone avatar Very Happy

In short I dont like when people get mad at others anyhow. Im bothered mostly when people browbeat some one for making a post, relax any one can go a google maps pick a random body of water and say im fishing there, and with little research find out how accessible it is and go, and to some local's surprise you might leave him or her wondering "howd you find this place?"
hoppy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont often put my reports up for this reason. Why would i spoil a good thing i have worked hard to figure out? i have guys PM'ing me looking for hotspots or tips on congamond all the time because they have a T coming up. Yah right!
im not spilling beans what took me years to figure out and learn just so they can benefit. The web is what it is. Besides most of the reports we do see here offer very little help if you ask me personally.
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what everyone is saying but I also think, from my experience, the "shady anglers" and "bucket brigade" for the most part are not keen enough to use a computer and if it wasn't for bait shops they probably wouldn't be keen enough to catch fish but I could be wrong.

Share what you want to share, it is a "free" country but please keep in mind even though you may be trying to help a certain someone out someone with lesser intentions could be viewing your post and doing what ever the hell they want with that information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Site Suggestions, Enhancements, and Troubles Resolved All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: