CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Kayak fishing at Candlewood 9/19/2011
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Kayak fishing at Candlewood 9/19/2011 Reply with quote

Headed out to Candlewood yesterday with my good friend and fishing partner Jerry to do some smallmouth bass fishing from our kayaks. This was my first time fishing the lake but Jerry had been there before and knew of some hot spots. We launched our yaks by 7 am and paddled for about half a mile. It felt like an eternity but we finally got to our spot. Jerry and I camped out about 50 yards from each other.

Jerry drifted shiners along the bottom and I tried my luck with pig n’ jigs and super flukes. After about an hour of no bites and only snags, I finally switched to shiners. Within 30 minutes, I got a little nibble and set the hook to an 18” smallie. Everything they say about smallmouth bass is true with respect to how hard they fight. Within the next two hours, I was able to catch one rock bass, a 10” smallmouth bass, an 8” yellow perch, and 2 more smallmouth bass both of which were about 18”. Jerry was able to pull up a small yellow perch and a small smallmouth bass. I felt bad for Jerry since he was the one that showed me the spot. He did get a couple of a nibbles that he thought were good size smallies as well. What I found interesting was how delicately the bass took our bait.

All in all, I had a great time on the lake and couldn’t ask for better weather and company. The only scary thing about kayaking candlewood is the size of the boats on the water and how fast they are. I may have to convince the misses to let me buy a boat next year. I definitely want to go again soon.

Afterwards, we hit the Blue Colony Diner off of I-84, shared some brews, and had some great food. I recommend stopping there if you pass through.
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, nothing like being out on the water. Candy is a bit rough in a yak, but yaks go other places bass boats can't. I've seen yaks on Winni in New Hampshire, that place is a zoo from spring til late fall. Nice job.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch!
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catches! Which side did you launch? Lattins or Squantz?

-Steve
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launched off the boat ramp that is off of forty acre road.
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DirtyDawg. The paddle was worth the effort. It's funny what we go through in pursuit of the perfect fishing trip!
damage inc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they tastes good! The SmallMouth fishing on Candy is great but it won't be good in a few years if everybody keeps takin the fish!!!!! I saw 3 immigrants at the causeway literally taking 50 of em from 6" to 18". DEP drove by and asked me how many fish they had and I told him alot and to do his job and find out himself for chri$t's sake! Maybe he didn't habla espanol.

Oh PS I don't want to hear and crap about negativity with immigrants. I'm Spanish my self and a son of an ommogrant. difference here is my dad fought in Vietnam to get his citizenship. These jokers just want to steal our $hit an take as much as they can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: