CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Kayak question. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Kayak question. Reply with quote

Been thinking of picking up a kayak. Don't wanna go crazy at this point. Looking for a sit inside for now so the wife has something she can use for exercise and I can use for fishing. When we buy a house then I will get a nice SOT for the ocean. Was looking at the Ascend FS10 angler and the Ascend D10 from Bass pro or an Old Town Vapor. Didn't know if anyone had any experience with any of these or maybe a suggestion of something better with the 500-600 range. This will be my 1st yak that I will buy but not the 1st I use. Love my buddies Wilderness systems Pungo 120 but not looking to spend that much at this time. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
eatsleepfish

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old town vapor 10 I bought from cabelas and it does the job nicely at a fair price. light weight, very roomy and comes with all the basics for a fishing yak. my only complaint is the seat isn't as comfortable as it could be, after about 3-4 hrs you definitely feel it in the lower back

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure plenty of guys on here will bash it, but I LOVE my Future Beach Trophy 126 - $279.99 at Ocean State Job Lot. I made some custom mods to it including 2 more rod holders and mounting an Ocean Kayak seat in it (more back support), but it's great. Inexpensive, light, enough room for my needs and easy to transport at 10 feet. I'm 6' 3" and 200 lbs and the 250 weight limit is no issue with me, gear, 2 rods, a cooler, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec,
If anyone bashes you about your kayak, they have no business being on this forum.

Kayak fishing is starting to get real popular and we all can be stewards of this up an coming sport by helping people get on the water.

One of the more frequent posters on this forum, PECo, has a Future Beach. I have personally seen Phil catch ridiculous fish in whatever he uses as a vessel, and it should be noted he brings a scarce amount of tackle with him, making the feat even more impressive.

Make the mods that will make you comfortable in your FB, and have some fun on the water.

Lets get together this summer for some yak fishing.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eatsleepfish

I am not sure if you looked into this yet, but you can give yourself a more comfortable ride by placing a foam pad under your seat for more cushion.

These can be bought for one dollar at the dollar store.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
AVec,
If anyone bashes you about your kayak, they have no business being on this forum.

Kayak fishing is starting to get real popular and we all can be stewards of this up an coming sport by helping people get on the water.

One of the more frequent posters on this forum, PECo, has a Future Beach. I have personally seen Phil catch ridiculous fish in whatever he uses as a vessel, and it should be noted he brings a scarce amount of tackle with him, making the feat even more impressive.

Make the mods that will make you comfortable in your FB, and have some fun on the water.

Lets get together this summer for some yak fishing.

Thanks, well said. Hopefully get to meet some folks in person at the May 18th yak tournament.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice yak - i had the same one - good idea on the seat modification. Was a joy while i had it.

AVec80X wrote:
I'm sure plenty of guys on here will bash it, but I LOVE my Future Beach Trophy 126 - $279.99 at Ocean State Job Lot. I made some custom mods to it including 2 more rod holders and mounting an Ocean Kayak seat in it (more back support), but it's great. Inexpensive, light, enough room for my needs and easy to transport at 10 feet. I'm 6' 3" and 200 lbs and the 250 weight limit is no issue with me, gear, 2 rods, a cooler, etc.

coastieyaker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJay,
What are riding in now?
JJay

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastieyaker, i'm using the 10' Manatee(from LL Bean) and I just picked up a 12' Ultimate FX (native watercraft).
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason's new ride:

Last edited by PECo on Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I'm jealous! The Ultimate is on my wish list for Santa Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking ride, Jason!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
AVec,

Well, it definitely looks waaay better and catches more fish in orange! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@coastieyaker
I bought 2 of those pads last year, one for the seat and one for the back, but they don't seem to do the job. where the seat and the back are connected there is a plastic koint with seems to put pressure on my tail bone after a while. I just need to invest in a different seat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatsleepfish wrote:
@coastieyaker
I bought 2 of those pads last year, one for the seat and one for the back, but they don't seem to do the job. where the seat and the back are connected there is a plastic koint with seems to put pressure on my tail bone after a while. I just need to invest in a different seat

One trick to this is to cut out a small v section of the pad where your tailbone would rest. It makes it so much more comfortable. Have done this for several canoes and it helps a ton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: