CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Kayak vs Canoe?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Kayak vs Canoe? Reply with quote

was reading some of the kayak threads here....

I saw some Ascend brand on sale at Bass Pro Shops, but I've no experience, I'm kind of a big guy...6' 4 about 260ish plus or minus..ha ha....

I figure a conoe would be to cumbersome to take on and off my car roof and I thought I'd be too big for a kayak... any ideas?

Thanks
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

So 6'4" and 260 (+ or -) Very Happy

Yes! I was at West Hill the other day and these 2 fellows came in on this boat.
Both were good size fellows and they had a small 6hp outboard on the boat.

I was surprised Exclamation -> Was the 1st time I'd seen a "Porta-Bote" (folding boat) -> nice looking rig and was quite stable!
USCG approved!

Check it out at www.porta-bote.com

SeaDog1
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...maybe a little on the "+".. ha ha.. thanks for the link. I've seen these before and I've heard quite a few positive things about them. I actually forgot about it, I'm glad you sent the link. The other boat I have inquired about was a carolina electric boat...there was a dealer in newington I was going to visit but something came up. I am looking for something affordable and easy to transport. That's all.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Carolina Electric Boat? Do you mean a Twin Troller? SkeeterRon on this site is the dealer. Very Happy It's a fairly bulky boat. You'd need a trailer or pickup truck to haul it around.

Canoes can actually be easier to transport than kayaks, because they lay flat on the roof of a car (i.e., when they're upside down). Most kayaks won't. An exception would be the Future Beach Trophy, which has a dihedral hull, instead of a hull with a keel in the center. Coincidentally, while I was at the Costco in Waterbury having my snow tires swapped out for my summer tires today, I saw a nice looking kayak called the Equinox 10.4. Here's a link to the company's webpage for the kayak:

http://www.claudemilot.com/equinox/produits_124.html

It looked suspiciously similar to the Trophy to me, so I took a close look at the labels on the shipping cartons for the kayaks and, sure enough, they're manufactured by Trophy Beach. However, the molded polyethylene foam seat on the Equinox looks much more comfortable than the unpadded nylon fabric covered seat on the Trophy. They're sold with a paddle and a cartopper kit, complete with foam blocks and nylon straps. At $329.99, it's a great deal that's backed by Costco's satisfaction guaranteed forever return policy. However, you'd have to ignore the stated weight capacity of the kayak if you're serious about your weight. Surprised On the other hand, I have no doubt that it could handle your weight. Your height, well, that could be a problem.

There are canoes made with Kevlar or carbon fiber that are much lighter than polyethylene canoes. However, they tend to be a little bit pricey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big dude too, and I have a canoe, its a 13ft aluminum canoe. No problems putting it on top of my car and taking it off by myself, its pretty key, i enjoyed it for years...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: