CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Keeney Cove - 7/4 & 7/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Keeney Cove - 7/4 & 7/5 Reply with quote

Nothing wild and crazy to report, but here's how we did.

Bill and I got together early Friday morning and fished Keeney Cove North of Point Rd. until 11:00AM, just before the heavy rain started. We threw everything we had. I caught one 20" Pike in the channel moving into the Northern part of the cove, North of the Putnam Bridge. He hung me up in a floating branch, which I had to reel in along with the fish. He bit through the fluorocarbon at the boat as I was reaching for him and took my chartreuse spinnerbait with him.

We worked the North part of the cove and then made our way back down to the shallow, weedy Southeastern corner of the cove, where a small stream runs into the cove. Bill and I each caught our first bowfin there. What a fight! Not a very pleasant fish, with serious teeth. Mine destroyed my spinnerbait. I know some anglers would rather see these fish dead than catch them, but I was impressed with the fight.

That was it for Friday.

I met Mike at Keeney early Saturday morning and fished the same spots until 7:30 or 8. All I could muster in the MUDDY water was a nice 3lb. Largemouth and a good-sized white perch, both in the tunnel channel, both on a chrome 1oz. Mag Force Rat-L-Trap.

Bill and I hit Salmon River Cove Saturday afternoon/evening and with the exception of a yellow perch, got skunked. Too muddy because of the rain.

-Eric
snap fisher777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished Keeney yesterday with a size three silver bluefix and all I aught were live five bluegill and one crappie. Not that great. But it is bowfin time in the CT river and I caught my first one two years ago and it was really big at least two and a half feet long. And always liked catching them ever since.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeney Cove - 7/4 & 7/5 Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
I know some anglers would rather see these fish dead than catch them, but I was impressed with the fight.

Anyone who would rather see a bowfin dead than catch one isn't an "angler". Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a male Bowfin, based on the black spot.
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the same spot this morning to have another go from shore but no luck. The fish in the picture fought HARD!

Though I am concerned about these fish and how their existence in a certain body of water might affect other more popular game fish like bass and pike, I'm happy to catch and release them unharmed. The fish was a blast to catch and I look forward to my next bowfin.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: