CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: King's Island 6/8/14 (and points South...very South)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: King's Island 6/8/14 (and points South...very South) Reply with quote

Bill and I launched out of Parson's Landing early Sunday morning in search of smallies. The water was low and we had to back the truck way into the water to get the boat to float off. The current was pretty fast at the launch too.

We found enough water and headed North a bit and across to the Suffield side. We were able to get one good float Southward in, fishing the clear Western shore water. The smallies didn't disappoint. We were catching immediately, on green pumpkin tubes. None were enormous, but they were in the decent 2lb. range, and fought like hell.

I've never caught a smallmouth before and I was psyched to see what their fight was all about. They live up to the hype! From the moment they hit, they just don't stop. They jump, they dig, they go over here, they go over there and they even try to run under the boat. Their energy level is insane. Folks who get into 3-5 lb. smallies have their work cut out for them. What a blast!

Once we reached the Northern tip of King's Island, that's where our day went sour. The Western portion of the river between the island and Suffield is indeed very shallow, quite fast and features some rapids. We precariously floated all the way down past the Southern tip of the island down to just past the first bridge, not catching anything. At that point we decided to head back up to try the drift again.

We were heading back up river on the Western side of the island and that's when we started knocking the outboard against the rocks and eventually took out the prop. We threw the anchor out, said a few swears and then calmed down enough to make phone calls to our respective wives and our contingency plan was in place. Our only option was to let the river take us South, beach at Bart's or the Bissell Bridge launch and have one of our wives meet us and drive one of us back to Parson's to get the truck.

And with thanks to my very lovely, very pregnant wife Lisa, that's exactly what happened.

We caught a few more fish on the way down, using the trolling motor sparingly, only to keep us away from hazards.

Bill picked me up at 4:30 AM and I finally walked in the door of my house at 5:00 PM. LONG day! We made some mistakes, but we found a new spot and caught some fun fish. I have no complaints, in fact, quite the contrary; I finally got some smallies and had a blast with them.

Next time we just know not to go West of King's Island. Live and learn. Smile

-Eric
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That king's island is no joke whatsoever. I had a similar incident. Thank God the water was still high enough to make it back to the ramp but I was knocking my outboard on a few spots as well.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you. I'm on my fourth prop, I think. That's why I'd never get a steel prop; aluminum breaks before your prop shaft does. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that lesson the exact same way
Mase2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to this area a lot and fish from my kayak and learned the area from my neighbors. Stay away from the head of Kings Island and the Suffield unless you know what your doing and have a boat with a motor. Do no go out in a kayak unless the flow is under 21,000 CFS. That side of Kings Island is shallow with lots of rocks and of water forced in between the island and Suffield so the flow is fast.

If you go north from the launch the flow is slower until you get closer to the pilings further north. If you stay on the Enfield side of the island the flow is slower as well until you get about halfway done the side of the island and you can see where the rapids begin. Glad you made it out okay.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never fished up there. Sounds like a good place for a canoe float trip with a pick up vehicle down river.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I feel for you. I'm on my fourth prop, I think. That's why I'd never get a steel prop; aluminum breaks before your prop shaft does. Wink

After yesterday on Winchester I'm surprised we didn't make #5 LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys hit Winchester? How was it? We did a drive-by there earlier this Spring, with an eye towards fishing it later this year.

-Eric
Rivernut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky to have made it through the railroad bridge without smacking a pillar or losing your trolling motor. Years ago there was a large boat wrapped around one if the east pillars.

imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back up to the King's Island launch late Saturday afternoon to fish from shore for an hour and a half as I had some time. There is a trail that goes South along the Eastern shore of the river. I walked down the trail about 1/4 mile, casting at clearings on the shore. I hooked a few smallies but they all came loose.

Are there any other spots up in that area that are good for fishing from shore for smallies?

Thanks.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: