CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake George Smallmouth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Lake George Smallmouth Reply with quote

I trailered my boat up and spent the past week on Lake George NY for vacation. I was able to fish almost every day despite some severe rain and awfully windy days. On average with 6 people on board we boated 50-60 fish per day which probably averaged out to be a 4 hr trip. Mornings didn't seem that much more productive as I would have expected them to be and the action slowed down only slightly during the mid day with pre dusk hours producing the biggest fish. Though many were at the 2lb or under mark we had several that were 4lb plus including a nice 5 lb largemouth caught on a live craw. Productive areas were the island points and drop offs with most fish coming out of 15-25 feet of water. All action seemed to come over the rocks and grassy areas didn't produce nearly as well. Shallower areas would always produce more rock bass, but hey, we were still catching something. Several fish were down in the 40 ft range on windier days or the occasional sunny calm morning but results were slower at anything beyond the 30 foot mark. Baits didn't seem to matter all that much as long as it was some hue of green or brown. 95% of the fishing we did was drop shotting or jigs off the bottom. I tried several different silver and gold color lures but got nothing on them and crankbaits didn't seem to be what they wanted either. Oddly we had the best luck with senkos (various colors), strike king ochos (Okeechobee Craw) or a jackall flick shake worm (sunburn melon) that were all broken in half. This technique even outfished shakey head worms, creature/craw baits and tube jigs. I would take the same worm I was bottom fishing with, break it in half and place it on the drop shot setup and have a fish within minutes. It just seemed keeping the bait a foot off the rocks seemed to work better for us most of the time. Kietech swing/swim impacts in the 3" range were working well with the best producing color being baby ayu. Too expensive to be burning through so we switched to the worms. August is the hot time for crawfish in LG and we cleaned up when fishing them as well. Drop shotting with a 1"-2" craw that was hooked through the tail was almost too easy. I am sure bigger bait in deeper water with more patience would have boated larger fish but the techniques mentioned provided almost non stop action and the 4 kids we had on board were constantly into the fish. I love fishing that lake in August and it is hard to come back to CT to fish after the great success we usually experience up there. Oh well, back to reality now and the murky, weedy waters we call home.
knowfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats great fishing ,especially for the kids, nice job .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: