CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Mashapaug
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishindoc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Lake Mashapaug Reply with quote

Have to head to Boston tomorrow via Rt. 84 and am debating on stopping at Mashapaug for some bass (hopefully). I'm not from the area and know nothing about the place. Can anyone give me some insight into access (I will be fishing from shore) and whether it's worth a shot? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for an out-of-town shore angler?
chud059

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shore access isn't that great for Mashapaug. If you can get there early enough before the boaters..not pleasure boaters though, the launch area isn't bad. You can follow some of the trails around the lake but there are a lot of swimmers/hikers/picnicers that use that park. Your better off fishing Bigelow Pond instead, same park, same entrance but no one really swims there and they only allow boats with no gas motors or kayaks/canoes. So, really, no one goes in bigelow with a boat and it's usually kayakers oaring around. But, again, you'll have picnicers and stuff may be walking around there. It is a beautiful park, you'll enjoy it but I'd recommend fishing Bigelow instead of Mashapaug.
fishindoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059- Thanks for the heads up. I ran late so didn't make it to the area until 11:00, which only left me about an hour to fish. I started just off the road (near the parking area), but had no luck. Then I hiked around a bit and made my way to a cove with some pads, a few stumps, and grassy bottom. Caught one short on a Zoom speed craw, missed another- probably another short. It's really a beautiful area. When I am in CT I stay in Milford with family, but I would definitely consider making the drive up there again. I would love to give it a go early one morning in late Spring. Thanks once again for the recommendation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: