CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lake Points
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Lake Points Reply with quote

Is a point just an area that comes out into the water more than the surrounding shore? sort of like a small peninsula?

What is a main lake point and secondary point?

Is there any way to determine underwater structure from the shore?
I can usually tell large rocks lead into steep drop offs and beaches are usually sandy flats.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake Points Reply with quote

mikey5string wrote:
Is a point just an area that comes out into the water more than the surrounding shore? sort of like a small peninsula?

What is a main lake point and secondary point?

Is there any way to determine underwater structure from the shore?
I can usually tell large rocks lead into steep drop offs and beaches are usually sandy flats.

I have always thought that point, were just that, which come from shore, off ledges , and islands.

not always noticeable
usually rocky.
can be found in deep water

but i am sure someone will school me pretty soon with in the next few posts.

Try this out
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/Fishing-points.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points are mainly considered areas of land and rocks on the surface that are like a peninsula. Rocky areas underneath the water coming from shore are considered a ledge.

Sometimes a "point" can also be something like a reef or bar that works its way from shore and drops of very slowly.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would disagree with your 1sst statement... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the opportunity to spend countless hours standing in front of a computer in between incoming clusterf&#cks in the ER, my understanding of a lake point is a sloping two sided underwater change of depth that leads to temp changes and suspended fish that rise up to feed because their fat asses are too lazy to swim around it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I figured it was what it sounded like but I thought there must be something more to it.

I have found depth contour maps of local lakes and I can see all the underwater points and sharp drop-offs. I almost never fish open water bc I dont have electronics and its too much of a crap shoot. Unless I see bait on the surface, I mostly stick to visible structure.

When fishing wind blown points, do you fish the side with the wind pushing into it or the side where the point bank provides some calmer waters. Seems like the non-wind side would be a good ambush spot.

I still dont quite understand what makes a "main" lake point and a "secondary" lake point. I suppose it really doesnt matter right now.
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya on the point thing. When you watch bass fishing tv shows, you usually don't see the points they're talking about. I'm with rx, and phs. In the wind you want to try and fish the side away from the wind not the side in the wind. Theory is the bass will stack up out of the wind waiting for lunch to be blown by. It's just like river fishing, you fish away from the direct current.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: