CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lake Winnemaug
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Lake Winnemaug Reply with quote

Has anyone ever ice fished Lake Winnemaug in Watertown?

Checked it out for the first time today just to see what its shape, size, and layout is and could see 2 islands right near each other and a cove. Buddy and I are agreeing on hitting it for the first time this coming weekend, esp with the variety of panfish it holds.

Any info on good fishing spots, depth range, and structure to look for would be appreciated.
fishville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I fished it. I think its around 16' deep straight off the dam. My G/F was hammering crappie out there. Standing on dam straight out and to the left is a weedy cove.
Two things though,
1. It's called Windymaug for a reason. The wind really hammers it and seems to keep the middle sketchy. So I would be real cautious out there.
2. Last time I fished there some jerk was throwing rocks at us. Some of the residents don't take kindly to you fishing in their "backyard".
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishville wrote:
Been a while since I fished it. I think its around 16' deep straight off the dam. My G/F was hammering crappie out there. Standing on dam straight out and to the left is a weedy cove.
Two things though,
1. It's called Windymaug for a reason. The wind really hammers it and seems to keep the middle sketchy. So I would be real cautious out there.
2. Last time I fished there some jerk was throwing rocks at us. Some of the residents don't take kindly to you fishing in their "backyard".

How safe is it near the dam during ice season?

Did you ever fish inside the bay/cove facing straight out the water to the right?
fishville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ice fished it strictly open water. Too be honest every time I've driven by in the winter, it is still open in the middle. The cove to the right is where we were getting rocks thrown at us. The fishing was pretty good.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open water on buddy's canoe is something else we're considering. What is the boat traffic like in the spring?
fishville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sparse not sure how it is now that they have an actual parking lot.
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, a buddy of mine here at work says it should be plenty safe by this weekend. If you wait til open water the boat traffic is actually quite light, gonna drag my yak up there this spring. He says it's actually quite good for largies, smallies, and crappie. Let us know how you do if you go this weekend.
Trouter82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Michael,

Did you have any luck out on Winnemaug?
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouter82 wrote:
Hey Michael,

Did you have any luck out on Winnemaug?

Never made it
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really big pickerel in there too. The biggest LM I have landed there was just over 4 lbs. Open water it is extremely murky and very weedy......The back cove always looks great, but is actually quite shallow and not very productive. The left side of the back island is the last good spot to fish back there before it shallows up. Both coves on the sides halfway down the pond are productive, but like said above, 1 of those is also pretty weedy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: