CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: lake Winni trip / 6-5 thru 6-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: lake Winni trip / 6-5 thru 6-7 Reply with quote

Myself, Emptylakebassman, and 2 other guys from our club, dragged our boats up to N.H. and stayed at Silver Sands in Guilford, (recommended by Johnny skeeter, who was also present with his family), for a 3 day smallmouth trip.

None of us but Johnny had ever been up there before to expirience the unbelieveable smallmouth bass fishing to be had. The smallmouth were on beds, most were locked on, some were skittish, but most were more than willing to crush almost anything you threw on their bed. I would have to say the fish were about a 2 to 2.5lb. average, with a dozen at 3 lbs. or better. The largest in our boat over 3 days was a 3lb 7oz. smallie. We caught 140 fish, 2 guys for 3 days, and we lost about 3 hours on Friday morning due to torrential rains that kept us in the hotel room longer than we wanted. We were told by others, that have been going up there for years, that even though we were catching loads of fish, that the bite was off. They are used to seeing 50 or more fish per day per person.

The weather was drissly and overcast on Thursday with almost no wind, water temps were about 57 to 59 degrees. Air temps were about 65 degrees. This day we caught 60 fish.

Friday we had heavy rain and 10 to 15 mph winds in the morning, giving way to cloudy and windy conditions. Water temps stayed the same. Air temps were about 70 degrees. This day we caught 40 fish.

Saturday we awoke to foggy but warmer conditions with no wind. Once the fog wore off it got hot and sunny, the water temps jumped to 59 - 61 degrees. Air temps soared to 85 by the time we pulled out to head home around noon. This day we caught 40 fish.

We caught fish from beds on tubes, finesse jigs, chigger craws, berkly beasts, drop shot worms, 4 inch worms, senkos, spinnerbaits, and I personally got 2 fish on a top water bait (Sammy 85).

We did see a black bear on our way to get some coffee on Friday morning, it crossed the road in front of us about 100 yards ahead. We also saw either a mink or an otter, skurrying along the shore of one of the islands. We also saw and heard loons that you don't see too much anymore in CT. This is a trip I will never forget, what a beautiful gin clear unspoiled lake, a true gem, that is just a 3 hour ride away. I can't wait for my 3 year old to get a few years older, so he too will be able to see and appreciate this incredible lake and the fishing that is out of this world.

Sorry no pics guys, nobody brought a digital camera, only cell phones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total agreement with everything Gary said. What a beautiful place. I must have thanked him 20 times for inviting me along.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an unbelieveably great time hanging out with you, and catching more smallies in a 3 day period than I have seen in my entire life fishing in CT.

There are not enough words to describe the time we spent on Winni. Good friends- Good Food- Great Fishing- Nobody got hurt- what more could you ask for. We will definately be doing one of these trips again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate everyone of you. JK. Just REALLY jealous.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job everyone. Sounded like an awesome trip that was definitely worth the drive.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was worth every penny.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Lake Winnie & Sands Reply with quote

Myself and family are set to go soon. We have been going to the Sands for about ten years now. Its great, the kids have the pool, the fishing is great (and usually I'am there past the major spawn). You can see concerts across the street and you cant beat Harts Turkey farm for food. I usually run a lot with the skeeter but this year with the gas I plan on staying mostly within a few miles. I take one day and go to an area on the lake that I no of that has nice largemouths (its like a separate lake). Cant wait !! It is recommended to ALL members. Bassinspector - Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: