CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I book a vacation trip to Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire for July Laughing .

I rented a nice house on the lake with a dock and I’m ready to go. Now can anyone give me some advice as to where the fish are Question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

They are in the water somewhere! Very Happy
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Thanks Jim...

You going to surprise me tomorrow and meet me at Bantam?

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying to help out a buddy! Very Happy As for Bantam that might be a possiblity. What time are you going? Also, the weather forecast has thundershowers for Saturday, no?
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I just looked at the weather, It says Possible T-Storms left over from over night. If it's raining when I get up at 4:30am, I'll go another day.

Hope to see you their.

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Saturday I leave for a week of fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee Laughing

Any last words of wisdom? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word of advice......bring alot of tube baits!!!! You are in smallmouth heaven and one of the baits they love is the tube. Get into enough of them and your shoulders will be hurting from the hooksets and the ensueing battles. Very Happy Ron, talk to Barry W. in work as he goes up there every year. He can probably fill you in on some good spots.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick's here I come...

Thanks Mark..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark..[/quote]

?@!!&%$ Helllloooo! The name is Jim!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck up there!
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I first would like to say "What a wonderful lake". Clean, lot of structure, many coves to get away from jet-skiers, just a great place to fish.

Ok, the first two days it rained non-stop so I used that time to visit the local fishing shop and pick up my fishing license and get some information as where to fish.

I stayed just outside of Merideth which is the north end of the lake.

Finally the rain stopped and the very next morning 4am my son and I were on the water.

Started with topwater equipment, it was like a rang the dinner bell. every other cast I hooked up, the only problem was that I was catching Chain Pickerel. They ranged from 3lbs to 6lbs.

Changed over to spinner baits at around 9am and caught a few smb about 3lbs. We had to leave the water at 10am to meet up with the rest of the family to do family things.

For the next two days it was the same, Chain Pickerel all over, my son and I move down the lake just to play it safe. They seem to follow us every time I casted I hooked another Chain Pickerel.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy catching fish but hey where's the LMB at?

after the 3rd day I went back to the local fishing shop and talk to the old guy behind the counter and see what the locals use to catch LMB.

He said " you want BIG bass you gotta use Hellgamites!
( Hellgamite, The aquatic larva of a large American winged insect (Corydalus cornutus), much used a fish bait by anglers; the dobson. It belongs to the Neuroptera.)

I never heard of Hellgamites before so he spent a little time with me showing how to hook them etc. Nasty looking insects. even my 11 year old son who plays with blood worms didn't even want to touch these things.

Well after a 30minute class on Hellgamites and $10.00 a dozon we hit the lake again the very next morning.

NOW the fun began, 4am on the water, floating by some nice rocks, my first Hellgamite in my hand ready to hook his little butt when my son screemed DAD! THERE ALL OVER THE BOAT!

It seemed I knocked over the box these little buggers came in and I didn't notice it.

It must have been funny for someone to watch us from shore. A grown guy casing the nastyest insect that bite all over the boat trying to get them back in the box, my son screeming like his little sister as the crawled up his leg and me at the same time trying not to hit the VW bug sized rock just inches under the waters surface.

After 30minutes of that I got back to fishing, first Hellgamite it out there swimming around and then SPLASH the fun began..

Five minutes later I got the largest Chain Pickerel I ever caught 6lbs. We used those smelly critters for two hours and other than that first Pickerel nothing. I think I was taken for a ride.

As the sun rose I stated using tubes, warms, buzz baits, swim baits, top water lures nothing would catch a bass.

Finally I pulled out old faithful, my Rapala 4" minnow. I caught an 8lb LMB three years ago on it so let's try it here.

About the fourth cast I hooked into a 3lb LMB FINALLY!!!

The rest of the week that's all I used to catch LMB, the 3lb bass was my best catch of the rest of the week.

Sorry, no pictures, my son kicked the disposable camera over board during the Hellgamite incident.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice fun outting Ron. I would have loved to have been there to witness 2 guys screaming like little girls in their boat! Very Happy Would be like watching a Bill Dance blooper video.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip! to bad the fishing wasn't better.
Keith T

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10.00 a dozen...you can get as many as you want on the banks of the Housey.....Is he looking for a supplier....LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Lake Winnie Reply with quote

I go every year at the end of June. The last part of the week got real hot and it has caused the smallie bite to slow. Early and late evening top water is a MUST. Most areas around the markers will produce. A great spot is in front of the Sands Motel and marina. Bear Island and the smaller islands around them are also productive Rattle snake island is legenedary. I would think now that the smallie are deeper. Senko, yum dingers and Zero's all work in pumpking green. Deep diving crank baits and carolina riged lizards worked well when I went in Aug one year. The best Largemouth areas would be The Basin (Winter Harbour Area). JUST A WORD OF CAUTION. Look at your map before traveling. Watch for the hazard markers. Last year when the water was high I hit a boulder and had to replace the lower unit of my Skeeter. It could have been worse. Good Luck and enjoy!! Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: