CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Late Season Saltwater primer...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RISEABOVE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Late Season Saltwater primer... Reply with quote

So i am trying to get into saltwater fishing before the season passes me by. Thus far i have have little to no luck though everyone says the fishing is great....

I am fishing at night mostly (6-11 P.M.) in and around the Housatonic River where i am putting in at the state ramp.

I can see big bait balls on the fish finder and i can see the bait jumping about with the occasional big splash, but i can't seem to hook anything up. I am using # 5-8 hooks with Bunker or Mackerel chunks which i generally just let sit on the bottom using a 3-4 oz. weight on a slider and i bought a few lures that the guy at Stratford Bait and tackle said i should have (i have been casting and retrieving them). I have even trolled with some rubber eels (I've had these hit but once the line was bit through and once i couldn't hook up after the fish ran with it.

I don't care what i catch just as long as its fun and i can eat it once in a while.

Really i don't even know what pole/rig is good to use (length/action/etc.)

I'm not looking for any trade secrets here just a little advice. Anything you got is much appreciated.

Like how long should you sit there without catching a whiff before you move on for instance???

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is something so minor that stops you from catching fish.That place has ton of bass and blues.One big fish and you will be hooked.
Try chunks in the current and on bottom.
1.When weighted are they connected to the snap or is there a linefinder involved?
2.What do u do for work? for example someone that works with raw materials or a mechanic has scents built into there hands and skin.
3.Are you fishing near dropoffs or structure?
4.What type of line and what pound test are u using?

These few things should atleast get you started

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For weight i am just using a slider on my line, i thought about switching to a three way but not real sure how to rig it.

Work at a machine shop but rarely touch the parts (in sales)...guess that's where the rubber glove advice i got earlier came from...

Have a fish/depth finder not sure how to read the structure but i try to get myself on drop offs...can't tell where though, should it be a steep drop? In the river i can't really tell if i'm getting my line where i want it because of the flow...

Using 20lb now with steel leader, just some brand i picked up at the bait store. I prefer to go as light as possible but i can't tell what the best all around pole to get is is...can't afford to pick up more than one this season and the one i'm using is ok for casting but its a little tough to get any feel out of it once i have a 2+ oz weight on there...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably coming across mostly Stripers were your fish.I would change the steel leader to a mono leader.The line finder is also fine.Try fishing on the bottom near the bait balls you come across.
Also the trolling of swimmers and eels should work.
Last but not least when in doubt break the sandworms out.Any size stripers like sandworms.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Sand worms Reply with quote

I think i will go out and grab some sand worms and some mono for leader and see if that changes my luck...i will definitely let you know if it pans out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Riseabove--The lower housy has not been producing many fish this year compared to last. From what I hear you need to go up past the parkway bridge for steadier blue/bass action. I fish near the condos at the mouth and its been slow. Last year at this time we were getting nice fish there but every year is different. Good advice from Plop about the mono leaders(and a nice avatar), but watch out for the toothy bastards. The recent heavy rain might chage it up? Going out Sunday am, will post if we get anything good. Good luck
RISEABOVE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out Saturday with some swimmers and some bunker...tried switching it up and using mono for leader...got a few promising runs, but didn't hook anything up. Saw a guy drifting chunks pull in a nice 25-30" striper a few hundred yards away. I was trying to drift a line on the bottom (with a 3 way instead of a fish finder) while throwing a swimmer near the salt marsh but this guy was just off the channel almost right underneath the power lines.

I heard the Striper have been good this week along the salt marsh near caswell cove but i couldn't substantiate that...i also hear the striper have been more active at night 11-4 when the water cools off a bit.

Waiting for a calm night to go out to the breakwaters near new haven for some blackfish as my housy luck and patience are wearing thin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Bluefish action near the Devon power plant, but cannot find the stripers.
edwardj6022

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: BLUES AND STRIPERS Reply with quote

KEEP AT IT , THEY ARE AROUND, CAUGHT FISH ON MON. AND AGAIN TODAY . YOU HAVE TO PUT IN THE TIME. WILL SEE U OUT THERe FRI NITE>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: