CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Lazer Trokar Hook Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Lazer Trokar Hook Challenge Reply with quote

Well today I decided to go do some fishing from shore at a local pond for a bit and inadvertently started my Lazer Trokar Challenge. I usually only bring two setups with me and no extra tackle. This helps me limit my quick trips because once the baits are chewed up or not working I head home. I grabbed my senko setup and on one of my other setups I tied on one of my free Lazer Trokar 4/0 magworm hooks (which is very similar to a EWG hook) and put a stanley ribit soft plastic frog on it.

I walked to the pond and started off by throwing the frog. At the first spot I was fishing from I didn't have any luck with the frog so I decided to give the senko a try. Then I noticed that the hook on my senko was never changed out after my last time fishing it. The last time I used it I got hung up on a laydown and broke off the the tip from the barb out Shocked

So here was today's challenge:

In this corner is the Lazer Trokar 4/0 magworm hook with a stanley ribit soft plastic frog

And in this corner is the Gamakatsu #4 octopus circle hook with a wacky rigged senko with the tip broken off from the barb out

I was taking turns equally casting each setup at different locations. My first "hookup" was on the wacky rig. Now I have heard of using barbless hooks but this went beyond that to barrbless and pointless hooks. I could feel the weight of the fish and it wasn't huge but it was a decent fish. I was just waiting for it to come off the "hook". It was about to jump when I dropped the rod tip and luckily avoided the jump. I could now see the fish as it got closer to shore. I pulled the fish out of the water lipped it and as soon as the slack came into the line the "hook" slid out of its mouth. Here's my first fish on a barbless/pointless hook Very Happy

I never got any more bites on the senko. Then came my first and only hit on the frog setup. I was reeling the frog toward the shoreline and just before it got to the weedline a wake came flying out of the weeds and smashed the frog. I dropped the tip and waited...1...2...hookset...the hook slid right into the fish like butter and I reeled it in and landed it. Here's my first fish on a Lazer Trokar hook Very Happy

In conclusion I have to say I would give a slight edge to the barbless/pointless hook as the fish was slightly larger than the one I caught on the Trokar Laughing However after reviewing the data I feel that my outcomes are slightly skewed. The reasoning being that I didn't have the same bait on both hooks so it may be that the slightly larger fish preferred the wacky senko which has nothing to do with the hook. Next time I will try to get a closer comparison by using the same bait so the bait has no bearing on the outcome Wink
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing huh?

Laughing In all seriousness I was happy with the Trokar hook although I haven't tested it out enough yet. Though I mentioned in another thread, the hooks seem very flexible, I haven't had an issue with them bending yet.

I was also throwing my senko mostly as a joke because I didn't want to walk the 1/3 mile or so to my car and back. I was very surprised that I landed that fish with a broken hook Shocked
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was fishing all day, today. Wink Fishing and pedaling. Well, mostly pedaling. Rolling Eyes Mi culo duele! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: