CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lesson Learned
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Lesson Learned Reply with quote

Went out on the deep reservoir in my area today. Bass were on. Saw a lot of guys hooking up around me. Fishing REALLY close to shore, like a couple inches!

The plastic stick worms were proving deadly today but I coulnt manage to set the hook! I love T-rigged plastics but I have a low hook up ratio, esp in cover like submerged weeds.

I finally did hook one but the fish quickly snapped my 6lb flouro leader. I should have never even had it on.... kicking my self for that one. I had this idea that my braid was spooking he fish. I was fishing in heavy grass, should have taken it off and retied.

A little later, I got a pig on, Bent my 7' medium action like I have never seen it bend. Went down to weed cover, very strong fish. Knew I had her hooked. My heart started racing and, poof!......

limp line.

like the dreaded LIMP line. As in the line snapped or even worse, the knot came loose. I had 30lb braid on the reel so i doubt it snapped. I had been frustrated tying knots all day with the wind and I know I skipped a few wraps here and there or didnt do the last pass through. I almost cried. It all happened in about 5 seconds.

Of course I tied another one on and frantically tried to cast it in the same area. Hoping I would catch that one that got away. Nothing for the rest of the day.

Lesson:

Make sure your knots are right & tight. Check for nicks and kinks in line and discard that portion. Never let the excitement of getting a line turn into a huge disappointment.

Then the fish jumped about 15 ft from me to try to shake the hook. It was a 5lb plus bass. Would have been my PB.

at least I got something..

hila2006

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knot strength is always an issue, but your right,just make sure it's solid before you cast. Then keep checking for nicks. I use 14 pound flouro for most of my rods, but I drop down to 6-8 for my smaller crank baits etc. If your having trouble with hook sets, check your point first. It doesn't take much to dull a hook, no matter what kind of hook. Also, it's better to leave just enough hook almost exposed, I leave the smallest amount of plastic worm above the hook point so it takes next to nothing for the point to stick into the fishes mouth. Like you can almost feel the point, but not enough to snag weeds. Hope it helps.
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there before! Ive had my line snapped a few times this year and I had on 20lb fluro. Makes you wonder whats in the water! At least you didn't come out skunked though.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when you get a fish, but loose before you get it in the boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tie knots onto lures with 8 and 10 pound mono, I give the line a little pressure to make sure it won't snap if I get a fish on. Sometime even a light little tug.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely tug on my line to check every time. I am thinking the line must have been damaged somehow, the hook maybe or frayed on the boat somehow.
I usually have no problem pulling the weeds out if I get snagged, they are thin
milfoil.

The other thing I was thinking is that the bullet weight from the tex rig was slamming into the knot and weakened it. Ive used beads to protect the knot before but with the senko type plastics, I like them either weightless or tex rigged with no bead.

Bought some #6 o-rings today and will give wacky rigging a shot.

With the first one I lost, I think it pulled my uni knot I tied to attach the leader although I know I pulled to test that one too. It probably was slipping a tiny bit each cast and the fish just pulled it that last little bit.

I dont think leaders are necessary in relatively heavy cover unless the fish are being ultra picky. I do like the presentation with a flouro leader although I am learning to disregard what I like and focus on what the fish likes.

I am going to go out around 5 or 6 tonight and try some fishing with some senkos and some senko imitations, see if the bass care.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a really hard time with knots! Lost an event a few weeks ago to a knot that came untied and three that broke on the hook eye. All on smallies. My boat partner showed me a little trick besides lubing the line. Get the knot as close to the eye of the hook as possible then pull the rod end to tighten. Not the tang (short side) of the line. This allows the knot to tighten more as the tangs ends is pulled back due to pressure from the fish.

Also make sure your leaving a long enough tang end so when you do hit the big one as the line slips in the hook eye it will tighten more before slipping through the eye.

Apparently when you pull both, the knot pressure weakens the line that wraps through the eye. By pulling the rod end to tighten the line maintains integrity.

Been doing this the past couple of outings and haven't had an issue since and I'm using 8LP Flouro with small tube jigs and crank baits.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I used to have a really hard time with knots! Lost an event a few weeks ago to a knot that came untied and three that broke on the hook eye. All on smallies. My boat partner showed me a little trick besides lubing the line. Get the knot as close to the eye of the hook as possible then pull the rod end to tighten. Not the tang (short side) of the line. This allows the knot to tighten more as the tangs ends is pulled back due to pressure from the fish.

honestly, ive always pulled on the main line end not the tag end. It seems like it would be more difficult to pull the tag end to tighten.

I guess it depends on the knot. With a clinch knot, I pull the main line end then push the wraps down and pull again. I wet all the knots before tightening as well.

Just started using the palomar knot now that I use braid regularly and with that one I pull all of the ends until the knot gets close to tightening on the eye then finish with a pull on the main line.

UPDATE though.

Last night I was getting ready for this morning and I was tying a leader onto one of my rods and when it was tied Id tug on it and the braid would just break several inches after the knot I just tied.

I chaulked it up to a kink in the line 3 times (the 3rd one being on the water) before I realized the coating came off the first eyelet (furthest from the reel) and the exposed metal was slicing the braid. It was on the non-line side though so it only happened once in a while when I would pull the rod or cast awkwardly.

This rod is 2 months old. I mean, its a pretty cheap abu garcia combo but I would have never expected it to have chipped so quickly. I cant remember hitting the tip hard enough to think I had to check it. I take pretty good care of it.

I am looking forward to getting a better rod/reel. Looking at the Citica.

Anyway, glad to know it wasnt my knot tying!

Still not excuse for the missed hook sets though.....

PS

I have recently learned the "J-knot" for tying leaders on. For anyone using the double uni knots to do it, look at the J knot. It is simple, strong and small. I use it all the time now.

thanks
mike
slim2043

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
pull the rod end to tighten. Not the tang (short side) of the line.

I'm pretty convinced this is not true because the line heats up (ie weakens) when you pull it through the knot so you want your weak line on the tag side. If you pull on the mainline your weak spot is at the knot or just before it. Pull on the tag and get the weakened line through the knot.

Fishing braid challenges your knots and your gear at times. Cheap or metal guides will not work w braid. Poorly tied knots slip, heck good knots slip w braid. I only fish it when conditions call for it nowadays. I prefer to fish fluoro mono or copolymers when I can. As for knots I've lost complete faith in the clinch knot and I'll use trilene w light line. Double uni leaders and I mostly tie palomar and hardly ever break off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every pole I have has braid on it ! Love the stuff it cast a mile never tangles and lasts two or 3 seasons instead if one with conventional line ! 98% of the time i use a palomar knot super super easy to tie one of the easiet knots there is! and I've never had it come loose not even on 50lb braid !! Still do a double palomar knot for line that heavy any way ! I make the leader up, hook and swivel then I palomar knot it to the main line ! Never not once had a knot slide or line break right at the knot ! And its one of the easier knots to tie in windy conditions ! I do have a friend that his palomar knots slip alittle When he pulls them tight so just for good measure he ties a regular knot in the line as close to the palomar knot before he cuts off the extra and that makes it so if it slips it hits that knot and cant slip anymore at all totaly stops it! Also FYI most rods especially cheaper combos the guides are not ment for braided line and eventually the braid will cut into your guides! so make shur u check if the rod u want has guides that can b used for braid ! Took a couple of poles and a cabelas employee to find that one out!! Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The braid must have cut the guide in my cheaper abu baitcasting combo. It exposed the metal eyelit edge and cut 3 times before I figured it out.

I managed to jury rig it with some super glue and the guide from an old spinning rod but that popped off today. I like the rod. i use it for jigging but I really have to get it professionally fixed or get a new one.

I also love braid. I use it on my spinning rod and am probably going to put it on my citica baitcaster as well. I used to hate braid but that was because I tried spiderwire which SUCKS. I use Stren SonicBraid now and it is much better. Might try the powerpro.
rvolkers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have NEVER used any other knot than a Improved Clinch Knot - i even use this knot tightened above the eye as a loop knot as well! - I have never had the knot go on me! - super glueing MAY only make things worse - the line may become more frayed BURNING through the glue! take the rod back! if you can!

JUST my 2cents here! - i have been using MAXIMA MONO line for years - IT IS WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE THE BEST - Maxima makes a floro that is also excellent! You can make yourself crazy trying braids - POWERPRO has always served me well!

BTW- it sucks to lose a nice one! sorry about that!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - last year my son lost 3 lures on 3 casts -- each time he lost one he retied! IT WASN'T till we looked at each other in puzzlement that we decided to check the rod! YUUUP a chip in the guide cut the line on each of the casts! -- bad enough to lose a great fish BUT worse to see you money fly through the air and sink to the bottom of the creek!

one thing you might want to try is a fix with marine epoxy - it is pretty cheap and you can get the 2 stag kind anywhere! -- IT HOLDS UP!
SmOoTh OpErAtOr !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the spiderwire braid it's ok but prefer the power pro best line I've ever used and its cheap the only reason I even use the spiderwire is power pro doesnt make white anymore ! Don't like the new power pro tho just something about tho it does cast a mile def check out the power pro !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: