CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Light/UL Rod and Reel recommendations needed ASAP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimplyG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Light/UL Rod and Reel recommendations needed ASAP. Reply with quote

Since I just got back into fishing last year and didn't want to use my Zebco spincast from when I was a kid I picked up a pflueger echelon combo at Cabelas for $60. Meduim-7'.

This year I would like to get a decent light or ultralight rod/reel.
Could use some suggestions/advice asap as I'm gonna buy one this week.

Doesn't need to be a combo or anything like that...
I'm not going crazy either so I would like to keep it $100 or less.

Any recommendations/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Will be primarily using it for Trout, and Crappie...

Also could use decent line suggestions as well...type and brand...
Using 20lb Spiderwire braid on the Pflueger.

Added note: I'm landlocked/boatless.

Last edited by SimplyG on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran UL all last year - nothing but - i wanted to see what it was all about and see if I could do it

well lemme tell you i have never had as much fun as I did last season
i caught so many fish

I got an UGLY STICK at walmart for $30 - its a 1 piece 4'6"
The reel was a Shakespeare Crusader

Line varied between SOS line and trout magnets ( used exclusively on the eagleville dam/stream )

and then some 6 lb braid that is equal to 1 or 2 lb mono - probably Sufix as that is all I have unless it was a leftover spiderwire spool

paid $50 for the rod/reel and it was a blast - fought so many fish! I still have a score to settle with a whopper trout that snapped my line, due to my inexperience with finessing an UL rig and trying to horse it on in

just used a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Microspin Synergy Combo with 4'8" Ultra Light Rod that i got for my wife - it was excellent even though the casting mech isnt what im used to - the combo was awesome and we landed 4 trout today!

get at me and we'll go fishing sometime soon!

go buy an ultralight setup and then let me chat with you on baits/lures - man o man its gonna be a big season for you!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a 5'6" Ugly Stick that I still have but have become happier with a 5'6" Eagle Claw Powerlight.

Eagle Claw Powerlight I got for $27.99 with free shipping on Amazon. $2 less than the Ugly Stick. The reel I have rigged on it is a Penn Fierce 2000. You can get excellent deals on Penn reels on Ebay. Penns I'd recommend would be Fierce 2000 and Sargus 2000.

Line I use is 6 lb test Sufix Elite. Nice thing about 6 lb test is it can handle fish ranging from smaller trout and panfish to bigger bass, walleye, and pickerel.

If you want my Ugly Stick, send me a PM.
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my ultralight setup ive been using a shakespear durango rod i got at walmart for 8 bucks, 2 piece 5' paired with a small 30$ mitchell spinning real and 4lb test mono, i love it for casting out small lightweight cranks, spinners, etc. i spent the least on this setup out of the few i own and the kicker is that i use it the most out of all my rods/reels! definitley a great investment!
SimplyG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice, ended up getting a 6'6" Eagle Claw featherlight that was on sale for $14.99 and a Pflueger Trion and some spiderwire 6lb flouro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: