CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: lilli sunday morning - TOP WATER FISHING!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: lilli sunday morning - TOP WATER FISHING! Reply with quote

times - 6:30 - 11.30
conditions - drizzle - lite rain (WATER LIKE GLASS)
water - clear to stained
water temp - LOL didn't even look

species caught
LGM
SMLM
PIKE
yellow pearch
Rock Bass
rainbbow trout

lures
poppers
flaoting rapala
jitter bugs
x-raps
salt and pepper tubes

i don't get up early to fish anymore would rather stay out at night fishing this time of year - BUT this was promising to be MY KIND of weather for bass fishing - i fished only one LONG stretch of water MY FAVORITE. headed to dam and started right at the BLUE station and headed back towards the ramp on the right hand side! - to the shepaug arm - this stretch if you fish lilli has it all coves - rocks - weeds - lay downs and timber.I KNEW it was going to top water ALL THE WAY with some exceptions! i just don't get to many days on lilli that are CALM!. the fishing was very good biggest lrgm was pushing 5 with plenty of keepers! as for the smallies keeper size to around high 3s - the rock bass were BIG and the yellows were big also (on tubes) - the trout was around 20 inches and hit a silver x-rap! - the pike both around 36. i would not say it was a banner day size wise -- BUT a hell of a fun morning! around 10:30 it all shut down and i figured go home take a nap! - and hope the RANGERS can make the rest of the day worth while!

perhaps it was the winter we had or just a normal spring - I JUST DON"T KNOW - but every trip to lilli this spring has been GOOD TO GREAT!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout? A trout survived in that lake? I hit it saturday in the kayak and paddled up the shepaug arm and caught 5 lmb 5 smb and 5 rock bass with crayfish. Nothing big probably all 2-3lbs. I wish i had your luck.
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: just one of those mornings when things went as planned Reply with quote

[quote="NorthEastFisherman"]Trout? A trout survived in that lake? I hit it saturday in the kayak and paddled up the shepaug arm and caught 5 lmb 5 smb and 5 rock bass with crayfish. Nothing big probably all 2-3lbs. I wish i had your luck.[/quote]

i fish the shepaug arm all the time there are some great spots (and some big pike) if you go all the way up the arm the shepaug river flows in THAT IS A HOT SPOT!! surprisingly with all the tournaments going on no one seemed to go down by the dam and fish back! - today i saw one boat down there across the lake - and none near me! - it has taken me 2 years of a lot of work to try to get to know the place! living 5 mins away i have put in the time and consider my knowledge of the body around 5% - during the spring it is great considering the day yesterday YOU DID MIGHTY FINE! - it is very tough! the water has been high BUT with all the rain coming this week they started to drop it! it went down pretty fast in the hours i was there!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report!

Lilly can be challenging but experience and patience produce good results. My best fish have come from Lilly. My first Pike came from there using a trout pole and Rooster Tail. I caught a baby bass and the Pike came up and snatched it. Fought that thing for 20 minutes. I have a Bone Spook with "TEETH MARKS" Finally snapped my line at the boat when I stuck my hand in the water to pull it in and saw it's "TEETH." never saw a Pike prior to that. I have a Bone Spook with "Teeth Marks" from the one that got away. I fish that area you posted almost every time there. I've never gone all the way up the Shepaug. Not sure if I can in the Skeet.

In two weeks I'll have weekends off again. We'll have to get together.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: just one of those mornings when things went as planned Reply with quote

rvolkers wrote:
NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Trout? A trout survived in that lake? I hit it saturday in the kayak and paddled up the shepaug arm and caught 5 lmb 5 smb and 5 rock bass with crayfish. Nothing big probably all 2-3lbs. I wish i had your luck.

i fish the shepaug arm all the time there are some great spots (and some big pike) if you go all the way up the arm the shepaug river flows in THAT IS A HOT SPOT!! surprisingly with all the tournaments going on no one seemed to go down by the dam and fish back! - today i saw one boat down there across the lake - and none near me! - it has taken me 2 years of a lot of work to try to get to know the place! living 5 mins away i have put in the time and consider my knowledge of the body around 5% - during the spring it is great considering the day yesterday YOU DID MIGHTY FINE! - it is very tough! the water has been high BUT with all the rain coming this week they started to drop it! it went down pretty fast in the hours i was there!

Yup nice spot up there. I have caught my PB smallie up there. I also caught a trout on a crank bait last year. Some huge carp swimming around there too.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carp jumping will scare the Sh%T outa ya! When I had the kayak I would fish Pond Brook Cove. They would jump right next to the yak! 5am quiet and peaceful then the water explodes right next to ya!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
The Carp jumping will scare the Sh%T outa ya! When I had the kayak I would fish Pond Brook Cove. They would jump right next to the yak! 5am quiet and peaceful then the water explodes right next to ya!

Thanks for the intel! Much appreciated. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: