CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Line for a jig combo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toptech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Line for a jig combo Reply with quote

Gonna get out and purchase some line tonight for my new jig rog. As i am kinda new to jig fishing...I would like to know opinions on what line to use. Its will be for throwing jigs close to 3/8oz. Floro, mono, braid? LBS test? Certain companies to go with or stay away from?

Thanks in advance everyone...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw 14lb. floro on my jig rod, unless I'm fishing really snotty stuff like chestnuts, then I use my broomstick with 30lb. braid, but that isn't to often.

Some guys prefer 20+ lb. mono because it slows the rate of fall more than floro, because floro absorbs water and it makes the jig fall faster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm good to know gary... I currently use braid but what the hell do i know, im a noob.
toptech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still learning too PD...but one thing I have figured out about fishing is that its all about personal preference and what you feel confident in. You ask questions to get input on things to see what others do but in the end you can never do EXACTLY what they do so you hone your own style from the knolage you gain from others. Like Gary said...he likes floro but he knows others that throw heavy mono so they can present their jig in a way that they feel confident. I personally dont like braid but I know plenty that throw it with great success.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if braid works for you PD, then great stick with it, but I think the fish can see braid too easily in the mostly clear waters we have up here in the north. That's another reason I like the floro over mono and braid. You also have better feel and the lack of line stretch with floro, mono just stretches too much for my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your good with a jig they'll eat it off the bottom. Fortunately, most folks let it fall and yank it back to the boat. Sal has witnessed me fish right behind him and yank um out fishing on the bottom.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 14lb floro.vanish.I think you said it best toptech....ask questions and find what works for YOU! I don't like mono because it stretches and braid because I think they see it but thats my opinion.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I knew you were a bottom feeder!!! Shocked Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plucked a 2 off a dock sal beat me to on silver yesterday! Bastard back boated me. I would of had a 4+ off a bush, he ate it to good (past the line) and I was less then 10 feet from an angry fish. I really whalloped her on the hookset too.
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different line for different techniques. Personally I use braid when the water is dirty or I'm flipping in nasty stuff since the fish probably can see the braid and non-braid doesn't cut it when fishing frogs or flipping chestnut. I pretty much stick to fluoro on everything besides topwater since it does sink, has more feel and less stretch. I change my line often enough that the water absorption doesn't affect it. As far as picking a brand, there are so many that you pick some and give it a shot. I wouldn't go buy a spool of line if it's got dust on it from sitting on the shelf for so long. You don't need to buy 100% fluor, co-polymers are great too. I like P-Line for the price and quality, but things change all the time with the manufacturing of products so it could be for the better or for worse. Ya never know until you try and find something that you like, can afford and have confidence with.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 20# fluoro on my jig rods (baitcasters).
Jerryinct

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 20 fluoro on 1 set up and 50 lb Braid for fishing the slop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: