CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Line Information and WD 40 LOL Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: now here it the real truth about whats in WD 40 Reply with quote

this is a good link to whats in the stuff I think i will stick with the non toxic stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is WD-40

This is from the WD-40 MSDS

aliphatic compound 50%
Any organic chemical compound in which the carbon atoms are joined in straight chains, as in hexane (C6H14), or in branched chains, as in 2-methylpentane (CH3CH(CH3)CH2CH2CH 3).

hydrocarbon
Any of a class of chemical compounds containing only hydrogen and carbon (for example, the alkanes and alkenes). Hydrocarbons are obtained industrially principally from petroleum and coal tar.

Physical Properties of Petroleum-Based Oil 25%
Petroleum-based oil describes a broad range of natural hydrocarbon-based substances and refined petroleum products, each having a different chemical composition. As a result, each type of crude oil and refined product has distinct physical properties, that affect the way oil spreads and breaks down, the hazard it may pose to marine and human life, and the likelihood that it will pose a threat to natural and man-made resources. For example, light refined products, such as gasoline and kerosene, spread on water surfaces and penetrate porous soils quickly. Fire and toxic hazards are high, but the products evaporate quickly and leave little residue. Alternatively, heavier refined oil products may pose a lesser fire and toxic hazard and do not spread on water as readily. Heavier oils are more persistent, however, and may present a greater remediation challenge.

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 18%, Same as above just with a lower vapor pressure low vapor pressure (LVP)

Carbon Dioxide 3%, An inert gas that is used as a propellant, Also used in beer and soda. This is the main cause for Beer farts.

Non-Hazardous Ingredients <10%, Typically proprietary ingredients.

It’s NOT Fish Oil!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen very big discussions about it on other forums,..

Regarding it's use as a scent: There are a lot of folks that use it or have used it,..from what I've seen, it doesn't make any difference good or bad. Also as Skeeter Ron pointed out in that link, it is just a very light petroleum oil plus solvent....and not fish oil!

Regarding it being a polutant: I guess technically it is,..but sheesh, how much would you have to be spraying to come close to what goes in the lake from a 2-cycle outboard motor??!! Rolling Eyes
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: I like what I see here Reply with quote

A good discussion of somehting. intelligent. funny it turned from me taking suggestions on lines to a potentially harmful oil. for the enviroment. Thanks for all the feed back I'm enjoying the reads.

Last edited by TackleMaker on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to have to agree with Just4Fun on that one.... Im sure plenty of those rinky dink outboards you see on the water do plenty more damage than you spritzing a little WD-40 on your baits/line, but hey what do i know... Either way, i dont think ill be spraying any of my tackle with this crap.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete I expected more an engineering scientific response from you Laughing Hope school is going well. When you return from pa can you bring me a philly cheese steak with american cheese wit onions?????

Justin
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Just for fun as well, most older outboards put much more oil related crap into the water, than any can of WD40 would, but my point was that I don't see the advantage scent wise over say mega strike or bang, so why add to the pollution.

Maybe we should start using KY liquid to help our worms and jigs penetrate and slide through heavy cover better with out getting hung up. But then when I'm out fishing with the KY, what will my wife use with her boyfriend? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimy,

Broke Back Fishing? That's nasty.

I'll stay with Mega-Strike.

By the way, all invites to go fishing are off. KY lube on baits, Yeah OK...!

I DON"T THINK SO....

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do that honest, I heard about it from a friend! Rolling Eyes

Chick a chick a bow bow, chick a bow bow Shocked

I'm just kidding! Boy can't anybody take a joke anymore? Laughing

I'm Robin Leach signing off, it's Ky Screams & Mega Strike Dreams from now on! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
pete I expected more an engineering scientific response from you Laughing Hope school is going well. When you return from pa can you bring me a philly cheese steak with american cheese wit onions?????

Thanks a lot Justin. Schools going pretty well, i decided to take on a business minor so Im taking a few of those courses which are CAKE compared to the crap ive been taking... As for the steak, i will never order a cheesesteak with american....Either wiz or provolone buddy. Wink
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Guys I am having a great time here AND.... Reply with quote

I am in School as well but in CT I go to Post University this semester is MArketing. A whole lot better than the last class. Micro Economics i would rather have a root canal and 4 wisdom teeth pulled at the same time than take that again. I am starting to feel at home here. I have been tying Flys for the past few days. anyone tye on here?? if so wanna come over and tye some flys some weekend? or evening. I tie all kinds but mostly salt water and poppers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you trying to ask someone out on a date? Shocked
sidenote: I love my Micro econ class. Try a Heat and Mass transfer class, then youll appreciate econ....seriously...
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: LOL a DATE???? Reply with quote

gave me a good chuckle. No dates here I have all i can handle with one woman. I just enjoy tying Flys. and of course fishing. I used to get together with a few guys and make rods tye fly's ect.. every wed its been a long time sense then figured to pass the winter dull drums someone might want to do something constructive. Oh and No thanks to the class you mentioned. LOL but school is scool some classes suck some don't However, they all suck when your are itching to go fishing. and have to study.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL a DATE???? Reply with quote

TackleMaker wrote:
gave me a good chuckle. No dates here I have all i can handle with one woman. I just enjoy tying Flys. and of course fishing. I used to get together with a few guys and make rods tye fly's ect.. every wed its been a long time sense then figured to pass the winter dull drums someone might want to do something constructive. Oh and No thanks to the class you mentioned. LOL but school is scool some classes suck some don't However, they all suck when your are itching to go fishing. and have to study.

agreed agreed. Good luck to you TM
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, no love for american cheese? Provolone is good on chicken parm or italians. Whizz is for hotdogs and nachos. American is the best on steak n cheeses imo. If you are to bashful to order it with american, I will take wizz you commie.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: