CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Little Bantam (Little Pond) - Pike, Pickerel or Pike-erel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Little Bantam (Little Pond) - Pike, Pickerel or Pike-erel Reply with quote

Went out in the canoe with my son last week and hit Little Bantam. It was a gorgeous day and the pads/veggies/algae has not overtaken the pond yet so conditions were very good and there was a lot of activity in the water. We hit a few pickerel and some baby Largemouths but I landed this 3.5lber that at first look I assumed was a good sized pickerel but upon further examination I thought it was a pike. Now I'm not so sure it's not a hybrid. The spots look like Pike markings but the tell-tale dark teardrop under the eye is there which screams Pickerel. I'm no expert so I thought I'd throw it out to the group. What do you think?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks nothing like a pickerel to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only caught a few pike myself so I'm no expert, but that's a pike for sure. Nice one
Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. It's my first pike and it put up one hell of a fight. It kept diving into the veggies and I had to have my son use the net to pull him in. I was using a green pumpkin jig with a Zoom grub trailer. Lots of fun! Thanks again for the help on identifying the species.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a pike. Nice healthy one. Good catch! It will be a beast when it grows up.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DD, it being my first I was amazed at how strong they are. At 3.5lbs I can only imagine what a fight the bigger ones put up. I'm strictly catch/release so she's in there for someone else someday.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same pond, also last week......definitely pike! (and there are much larger to be found in there! Biggest one to date personally is 39", 12lbs.)

Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 12 lbs!? Must've been an epic battle. Was it on Monday that you were there? I did see a couple guys in what looked like a Bass Tender boat right before we left. If that was you, I was in the green Old Town canoe with my oldest son up front. Much nicer fishing in there before the pads completely take over.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.....that was us, lol. You guys were definitely in the right spot in that back left corner! My biggest from there is from quite a few years back now. Not sure how long you've been fishing up there, but in the 90's, there was an 8ft beaver dam lower in the river that held a lot more water back up to little bantam. From the dam all the way to the pond use to be loaded with big pike, pickerel and LM bass. Hasn't been the same for 15 years or so now, but ocassionally you still see signs of the big ones being in there. Hooked one last year that gave me 30 seconds of fun before it bit through my 50 lb. FC leader. Keeps you going back for sure!
Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we looked the pond over and that spot looked the best. I've only been on little pond once before. Would have loved to fish it back when the water was higher. On the way to the pond that day we snuck into the tiny pond on the left of the river, the one you can get to from the road. There was a log in the way but we were able to maneuver over it and get in.
What other spots do you fish in the area?
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pond is where my avatar pic was taken, lol. No pike in there, but lots of bass! If you like the pickerel/bass ponds, give Dog pond in Goshen or Long Meadow in Bethlehem a try. Both easily covered with a canoe. A good day on Dog with 2 people can get you a 50 fish trip with lots of fun battles.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mention Dog Pond. I'd been wanting to put the canoe in there since last year so I went there on Sunday with my daughter but the wind was gusting over 20mph so we bagged that idea and went to Mohawk. Nothing biting there but it was still real windy and choppy and I spent more time helping her than fishing with any focus. Also in Goshen, I love West Side Pond too. Some real nice bass in there and easy to fish the whole pond in one outing.
How crazy is it that your avatar is in that tiny pond. I don't think too many people even know it's there. You must have paddled in there when the water was really high.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to yank the boat in there, and it was a couple years ago before that tree fell across, haha. Always bass to be caught in there. We have fished West Side and Tyler with a little success in the bass department, but never great numbers or size.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Pond has TONS of nice crappie in it too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: