CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Local Pond bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassFishingFreak

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Local Pond bass Reply with quote

I decided to fish a local pond after school today. Started off throwing a senko , working a dam that holds a lot of decent fish. I caught a bass of the first cast, that was a pound maybe 2. Later while fishing i looked over in the shallow water and saw a spawning bass, guarding its bed. After 10 minutes of throwing a senko at the damn thing, i finally got the bass to turn on it and it bit it in half.. I took the half-senko and kept at the bass, and got it to turn around on my senko and it just absolutely inhaled it . after a couple minute fight i was able to land the fish. I would post pictures pictures on the links below, but this is a new account and it wont let me post URL's/Links yet Mad
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome aboard. Very Happy

I'm glad you caught one, but prepare yourself for a "discussion" about fishing for bedding largemouth and smallmouth bass. Wink Personally, I'm still on the fence about it. Sure, I've done it before, too, but I can't help but wonder about its effect on the success of the spawn.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it doesn't affect the spawning of the bass , it returned to its bed within a minute after i caught it , so i don't really think it will change anything. Just my opinion though . How would it affect the bass enough were it wouldn't spawn ?
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never understood the argument, either you catch a fish that you don't see on a bed or you catch a fish that you do see on a bed. It's still being caught. What's the big deal?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
BassFishingFreak

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly , I dont think it would affect it's spawning if it was caught/released. Like i said , the bass returned to its bed within of minute of when i released it
Amston Laker 2

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Thoughts... Reply with quote

I have to wonder and believe that a spawning fish that is teased will get stressed. Stress on all living creatures has an adverse effect on its biological body functions.
I'd be willing to bet there have been studies on this subject.
As one would say "Google It !"
Try DEEP or UCONN.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the stress on the fish affect its ability to gaurd it's bed ?
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anytime a fish is caught it causes stress, but when your fishing during this time a year, the likelihood hood of you catching a fish that is on a bed is high. What does it matter if you see the fish or don't?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Amston Laker 2

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Fishing spawners.... Reply with quote

Found this on the web:

Among anglers, there is perhaps no more controversial topic than whether or not, as conservationists, we ought to fish for bass while they are spawning. Battle lines on this issue were drawn in the sand long ago – some northern laws that prohibit it date back to the 1800s – with no end to the argument in sight.

Those against fishing for bass during the spawn contend that it disrupts the breeding cycle, resulting in fewer fish in the future. However, studies indicate that fishing during the spawn, even if specifically for trophies, does not appear to harm the bass populations. Obviously, taking a spawn-ready female from the bed will, if she dies, reduce the numbers of young bass produced. But bass produce thousands of spawn every year, leaving the surplus millions of juvenile fish to become food for other species – so numbers aren’t an issue. Further research has shown that if a big female hasn't spawned yet and is released in good shape, then it is likely she will spawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: