CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Long Beach Island, New Jersey anyone?(Need fish + Lure Info)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Long Beach Island, New Jersey anyone?(Need fish + Lure Info) Reply with quote

So next week i'm heading to LBI in New Jersey for a week. For those who don't knpow exactly where it is, its the island south of the island with "fist pump nation" AKA seaside, etc. LBI honestly has some of the best beaches i've seen anywhere. Professionally groomed every day. Beautiful, classy, fun island i reccomend to anyone

Anyways, has anyone fished down there? I'm renting a skiff one day and going out with a few friends in the bay intercoastal area there. I talked to a few guys down there saying guys are catching blues, fluke,sea robins, occassional stripers in there. I was just looking to see if anyone here has happened to fish that area and if so, if they could pass on any info as far as good lures to use, spots,etc.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i went out fishing here today and we didnt have a ton of luck. Caught a couple skates and that was it. Goin shore casting off the beach tonight with some squid and clam. The weather was beautiful today though so i have no complaints. Gotta love vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up there so i know Island Beach. You will be best with clams and bunker throw just passed the break of the waves tight lined with slip sinkers. Stop at the last bait shop on the strip before entering the park and they can tell you what size sinker to use and what bait is working. Bring a pack of rubber bands and ask the guy to explain how to secure the clams on the hook as trying to whip it out there that far tend to lose some bait. I also had some luck with swimming the bait way out and dropping it on into 20 feet of water but it's a commitment and not something I recommend if your not a good swimmer as the rip tide and be pretty strong.

You van also go to the end of the park at the sea wall and use white buck tails and strip bait to bounce it on the bottom.

I have also had luck wading out to the waist deep and ripping a top water popper out at angle to the shore. Watch out for horseshoe crabs and sharks...typically sand sharks that are curious and may "bump" you a bit. This worked best early morning or right at dusk.

If you are going at night you can build a fire close to the water and throw bait on slip sinkers just past the light ring of the fire. Not sure why that works but i have caught a bunch of 20 plus lb fish that way.

You can get most of this info from the bait shop guys who may be a bit gruff towards you but they know there stuff!

Good luck and have fun! That's the part of the Jersey Shore i love.

Also try crabbing at the seawall and throw them into a pot of water and bil them up....I've had many of crab dinners while night fishing there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: