CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Long Meadow in Bethlehem
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Long Meadow in Bethlehem Reply with quote

Went out yesterday and actually got out on the water in the canoe for the first time. In the past, I've fished few times from the limited shore spots available and actually got my biggest LMB from the point next to the beach area. But being new to the pond from the canoe, we struggled with bait choices, retrieves, best bass spots, etc. We tried top water frogs on the pads, nothing. We worked edges with jig/trailers of various size/color, wacky senkos, crankbaits, texas rigged plastics, swimbaits and only came up with one for my son in the middle of the lake and one for me throwing a texas rigged craw into a laydown. By the way, I didn't have the fishfinder yesterday which would have helped but any advice/tips from you guys who know that pond would be very much appreciated. Bdiggy, I think you mentioned once that you've gone there a lot and done well so please chime in! Thanks in advance!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinner baits!!!!! Tie on a white or chartreuse spinner and don't look back. The middle of that pond in the back is on fire this time of year. Kind of surprised you didn't get anything going with the senko, but those as well. Throw right out in the middle of the pond. The weeds stretch all the way across and provide structure even in the deeper parts of the pond. Fish finder is not needed. Doesn't get deeper than 10 ft and the bass and pickerel are stacked up in there no matter where you go.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bdiggy. So our mistake was spending the whole time pounding the edges. Every spot along the edge seemed like a perfect bass holding environment, I guess we got tunnel vision. Great advice and I will be back there soon to try the middle. Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated!!!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Save the edges for when the sun starts to dip and the water cools. It always looks great, but the big fish production for us this time of year has really been out in the middle towards the back of the pond. Try out in the middle in front of the house with the pontoon boat docked outside. You won't be disappointed! Smile
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to go back on what I said. Went out there tonight and didn't realize they had used weed killer in there. Explains the bouys in the middle. That bed of pads in the back used to come out another 100 yards and the weeds in the middle are gone. Got 16 with the biggest being 3lbs, but it was a tough 16 and they all came in off the pad line.....
Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about those buoys. Sixteen fish is still a good night of fishing! I plan to get back there anyway, its a beautiful pond and I look forward to getting the feel for it. Thanks again!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're dumping weed killer every where. I fished Lilly Tuesday and couldn't find a live weed over an 11 mile stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
They're dumping weed killer every where. I fished Lilly Tuesday and couldn't find a live weed over an 11 mile stretch.

The weeds that used to be in one of my local ponds are nowhere to be found. I asked the town whether anyone had put weed killer in the pond. Nope. Apparently, the weather conditions this year have conspired against the pond weeds everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Wanna Fish wrote:

The weeds that used to be in one of my local ponds are nowhere to be found. I asked the town whether anyone had put weed killer in the pond. Nope. Apparently, the weather conditions this year have conspired against the pond weeds everywhere.

I believe that! The weather for bass fishing has thrown everything off this year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: