CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Long Meadow Pond (in Bethlehem) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Long Meadow Pond (in Bethlehem) Reply with quote

I took a drive to Long Meadow Pond in Bethlehem. I have seen posts about a Long Meadow pond in Middlebury/Southbury area but I hadn't see the one in Bethlehem mentioned. I stopped there to get some shore fishing in since I didn't have a partner for my canoe. Late last season I had marked a couple of areas that had either isolated structure or a lone stand of pads that were giving me good hits and a couple of decent bass. I planned to go back to see how those areas might produce in the pre-spawn. Well my memory paid off. I arrived early afternoon and went right to the spot where the lone stand of pads were. I hammered that spot with a 3/8oz green pumpkin jig with a brown salted twisty tail grub. After about 20 minutes and only a few hits, something pounded that jig with a force I had not felt before. When I set the hook it felt like I snagged a tree or rock. It just held there for a moment and then my line started moving to the left while I was pulling with almost all I had. A couple sitting at nearby picnic table got all excited and started shouting. I worked him in pretty aggressively as I have a MH 7' rod with 17lb test. When I got him to the edge I couldn't believe how big his mouth was. Got to use my new digital scale on my new personal best 5lb 9oz Largemouth. So if you're in the area check out Long Meadow in Bethlehem.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job! Congrats!
Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite spots to fish. In the last 2 years we've gotten 7 bass better than 5 pounds. Loaded with bass that hit like monsters no matter what their size! Nice catch Wink
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, always thought that place looked killer.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm really excited to get out on it. I only have a canoe but if someone wants some company in their boat, I'd love to get out there and fish the whole pond.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole pond can be covered with a canoe with little effort. You got that beauty on the end we never fish, lol! Hop in the canoe and paddle to the back. You'll know where to fish when you see it! Wink

Couple of my LM beauties:

And a couple of my partners:

They're definitely there to be caught!!
Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, nice hogs!! Now I'm really pumped up to get in there. I see the laydowns in that first photo. Good eye. I'm trying to improve my skills at "knowing" where the fish are going to be by visual input around the water. I'm getting there but not as accomplished as some of you more experienced anglers. Thanks for the info about farther up the pond. I'll post about it when we go. Now if I could just find a way to not have to go to work everyday.... Laughing
Markp860

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys! Its a resident only pond! People are working very hard at cleaning this place up. The pond has a commission set up and they are enforcing the residents only policy this is becoming a huge priority at this point. Cameras have been utilized. People are getting ticketed. In the past was not really pushed but the pond is seeing more pressure. Maybe in the future non resident passes will be given but not happening now. Just wanted to give a fyi if your not fishing with a resident.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markp860 wrote:
Guys! Its a resident only pond! People are working very hard at cleaning this place up. The pond has a commission set up and they are enforcing the residents only policy this is becoming a huge priority at this point. Cameras have been utilized. People are getting ticketed. In the past was not really pushed but the pond is seeing more pressure. Maybe in the future non resident passes will be given but not happening now. Just wanted to give a fyi if your not fishing with a resident.

There's nothing in the ordinances for The Town of Bethlehem, Connecticut, that restrict the usage of the lake to only residents. In fact, a non-resident can reserve and use the recreational facilities at the town beach. If the lake is owned by the town and operated as a public park, and the town is issuing tickets to non-residents for simply being on the lake, I'd think a First Amendment case could be made against it.

Whether there's public access to the lake for non-residents is a different issue. If you would have to trespass to access it, yes, you could be ticketed. For example, although Manitook Lake in Granby is listed in the 2014 Connecticut Angler's Guide, there doesn't appear to be any public access to it for non-residents. Lake Pocotopaug is also listed in the guide, but the listing explicitly states, "Note: No public access." I hate lakes like that. Mad

Interestingly, well, to me at least, in Chapter 93: LAKES AND WATERWAYS of the ordinances, § 93-4 Swimming area hours; fishing. states (emphasis added):
Quote:
The swimming area maintained by the Town and the Town property surrounding the lake shall be closed to all use by the public from 9:30 p.m. until sunrise the next day, except that, during the fishing season, authorized persons may fish in the area until 12:00 midnight.

I can't help but wonder who an "authorized person" is and how a person becomes one. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco,

Kudos your prob dead accurate and I stand corrected. Since the Bantam lake fiasco they are prob allowing fishing and have too. I was only repeating what I saw on a different board and as a resident what Ive heard. Just didnt want to see anyone ticketed is all. Fish away!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markp860 - This is exactly why CTFishTalk is such a good resource. Thanks for sharing what you've heard. Better safe than sorry. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

Whether there's public access to the lake for non-residents is a different issue. If you would have to trespass to access it, yes, you could be ticketed.

In the parking area where the "launch" is, there are 2 posts with a lock and chain across the ramp that say something about seeing the town clerk for a key, but nothing about being a town resident, so i'm not sure. We have never been hassled or questioned for being there though.
Markp860

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess the "launch" maybe locked for emergency use. Motors are not allowed so no one needs to back a boat in. My guess that it is prob for the fd to launch a powered boat in an emergency situation and/or to float docks in and out. as well as the recreational "toys". I drove by there (the "launch") tonight and wow it has changed over the years. i grew up fishing the north end of the swamp where the old road passed. Watch out for the snapping turtles as well as the water snakes in there. The pond always was loaded with both. You will find some nice pickerel, most of the bass were stunted but things appear to have changed with dredging and better oxygen as the health of the pond has improved. Perch were there as well but limited. As far as eating anything out of there growing up it was off limits no one ate anything out of there except for one guy who ate............. of all things the freshwater clams. He is not around anymore the clams may have had an effect on that or been the sole cause. Many rumors about pollution in the old days and some are confirmed. With the amount of houses and cottages on the east side to this day I am sure its prob not pristine and leech fields have to be flowing downhill. Oh their was also a oil leak over the winter that supposedly had
no effect on the ponds health. Just be smart if anyone considers eating fish out of there it looks larger than it is the water is shallow and the amount of homes close by is amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: