CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Long Pond - 8/7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gecabert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Long Pond - 8/7 Reply with quote

Took a trip down to Long Pond in Ledyard on Saturday, which is just a stones throw from Foxwoods. To be honest, I think the odds at Foxwoods were better than the odds at Long pond. The only thing long about it were the gaps between catching fish....

when I looked up the lake in the DEP book, 5 MPH limit & no water skiing! Seemed like a great spot on a hot day because we wouldn't have to worry about boats & jetskiis.

Plastics seemed to be the only bait we could get them to hit, and of the 7 fish we caught, only 1 was 12"+. Purple Senko with blue flake, Black with Blue flake, Yum bumblebee pattern & and chartreuse with a white tip, seemed to be the bait of choice.

So it's definitely not a big winner in my book, but might be a place to try out in the spring or fall.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got out which is more than I could say as I had to work the whole weekend. Sad
rjskeeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate that place never catch more than 2 or 3 keepers even in tourns what u should have done is hit amos right down the road. still better than working.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long pond is tough this time of year, most of the fish go really deep and feed mostly at night. In the spring 20+ bags come out of there. Pointing dog and I had a 14lb bag from there in the spring 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too bad of a drive for us from the Vernon area, so we may hit it up again in the fall. Thinking about either Zoar or Mansfield for this Saturday.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always check the "permitted tournament schedule" under "fishing tournaments" on this site before you head out to a lake or river. That way you avoid a lake that has a 20 boat tournament on it already that particular day. Your catch rates will go up that way for sure.

Mansfield hollow has a 18 boat bass tournament scheduled for this saturday already. You may want to hit Zoar instead. Coventry lake is pretty hot right now as well, if you know where to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I usually check the State's tourney schedule before deciding on a spot. So it looks like Mansfield is out, then maybe Zoar is it. I haven't been to Coventry in years, I had almost forgotten about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: