CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Long pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Long pond Reply with quote

I plan on hitting long pond soon. The CT fisheries lakes and ponds book shows there to be Lmb over 20" in above average abundancy, and that its a good place to catch a "trophy bass".

I was wondering if any one else has any stories of pulling some lunkers out of there?

Or maybe any recomended hot spots on this perticular pond?
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long pond has some of the biggest fish in the state in it! Last year in a tournament there, I caught a 5.08 and a 6.77 on back to back flips.....the 6.77 was the THIRD largest fish caught of the day. Someone weighed in a 7 and the lunker was over 8!! I caught my two fish through the tunnel and the other guys caught their's in the main lake. The winning weight was 5 fish for 23 pounds! It was sick!

I heard that big superspooks early in the morning are great there...

I caught my fish on a 3/4oz black jig with a sweet beaver and a bass assassin

Great place. I just wish it wasnt so far away!

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be the best place in the state and the worst! When we shock its clear that there are more fish over 5lbs per acre there than anywhere else in the state!

BUUUT...it can humble even the BEST anglers.....be prepared. But understand that every hookset could be a legit 9lb bass!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely has some pigs in there. A buddy and I went close to the end of the spawn and it was just ridiculous how many large bass were either cruising the shores or sitting on beds in deeper water.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dusty said,...it can be a tough place to fish! I've seen tourneys there where most of the boats skunked or had just 1 small fish,....it is a pretty clear-water kinda place. I do not doubt that there are some bigguns in there,..but the best I've done in about 4 or 5 trips was a 3-lber.
If you can get through the tunnel,..the small pond on the other side of the road has a lot of weeds and is supposed to be a good spot but whenever I've gone, the water has been too low to get through. The shoreline from the boat-launch up to the point is steep with some good wood on it,...I've left a lot of tackle on that wood!! Laughing Razz
Definitely try to get there by first light so you can be on the water and fishing as the sun is coming up! If it is calm at that time, I can imagine that a topwater would be good there!

Oh yes one other note: I do not know if they ever fixed it,..but the ramp used to have a pretty wide space between the two slabs. It was big enough for a trailer wheel to drop in and then get wrenched off the axle as some guy tried to pull his trailer back out a year or two ago,...so beware of it if it's still like that!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of big fish there, I've never caught anything over 3 lbs., but there in there. Definately go under the tunnel, and fish the deep weeds. Also have done well in deeper weeds across from the launch on the deeper side of the lake. Topwater in early am, then tubes and senko's later when the sun comes out.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Long Pond Reply with quote

Thanx again guys. Im definatly very excited to go there this weekend!

And a special thanx for the warning of the launch hazard.

Hopefully I can get through to the small pond under the bridge. I'll post some pictures if we have any luck out there.
Dusty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get under the bridge...i fished a tourney there sat and it was no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if i would suggest going under there though...by this point in the summer many of the bigger fish have been caught out of there abd broguht to the main side of the lake.

Most of the bigger fish come summer and fall are caught from the main lake...work the weed edges in 10-15 foot of water for best action...but if its cloudy throw the biggest swimbait you have over top of the weedbeds!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to long pond on sat.spent 4hrs of throwing our arms off and everything in the boat at the water!!!!!!!!!!!!1 small lmb 1 slime dart temp still at 78 degrees. good luck hope you do better than we did

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: LONG POND? Reply with quote

Where the heck is LONG POND; I've been to long meadow pond but never have heard of this one. cmorjoe
shortypowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been there but I believe Long Pond is down in North Stonington.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=384082&depNav_GID=1620
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Litterally right around the corner from Foxwoods, I believe it is technically in Ledyard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's down in that area...nice thing is, there are a bunch of little ponds down there that you can hop around to and get some nice fish out of.
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: "THANKS" Reply with quote

Sounds like a good place to go although I am on the other side of the state and next week its time to climb in that big yellow school bus. cmorjoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: