CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Looking for advice/help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice/help Reply with quote

I am new to leaders for fishing. I kept having trouble catching fish with my braided line since I switched from mono and someone told me today I need a leader...so I guess here are my questions...

I bought some saltwater leader by accident but I am assuming it's the same as freshwater right? It seems clear...I think it's flurocarbon idk...

How long should I do? I think about 2 feet right?

What time of knots should I do to tie them together?? I am used to doing palamor knots but don't think that ill work with tieing two lines together.

Any tips tricks or advice regarding this would be great.

Thanks!
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double uni knot?

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the double-uni. I use it to tie leaders and it is very easy to tie. The knot is incredibly strong and its not too bulky. Some times it will get hung up on the rod tip but not really that often where it is a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend flourocarbon for leader material. If what you have is flouro, you will know it. The stuff's not cheap and it will say in big letters that it's flourocarbon. Believe me, the manufacturers want you to know. Not only is this material invisible to the fish, but it is extremely abrasion proof. I use 50LB for leader material when pike fishing and it holds up to their teeth where mono or braid would break like thread in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I strongly recommend flourocarbon for leader material. If what you have is flouro, you will know it. The stuff's not cheap and it will say in big letters that it's flourocarbon. Believe me, the manufacturers want you to know. Not only is this material invisible to the fish, but it is extremely abrasion proof. I use 50LB for leader material when pike fishing and it holds up to their teeth where mono or braid would break like thread in comparison.

i picked up a spool of 50# berkley vanish fluoro leader at a wal mart on the cape this past weekend. only $10.xx for 25 yards... less than half of what other brands seem to run. hopefully it works as well as the pricey brands. unfortunately none of the "inland" wal marts seem to carry the stuff.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I got saltwater leader but I think I am going to have to go out and get some flurocarbon. I was originally trying to get it but I didnt realize its not what I needed for freshwater.

Is 2 feet good enough?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going with super heavy leader to keep a northern pike from breaking you off like Flipper does, yeah, two feet is plenty. If you're going with a lighter leader to keep the fish from seeing your line, it depends on the fish. Two feet would work for schooling white perch, but I'd go longer for trout. If you're fishing for largemouth bass, don't bother with a leader. They really don't care. Really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see. I was trying for bass and pickerel not so much trout. I think I am just cursed from braided line lol. Seems like since I switched I have had a bad run....
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of lures have you been throwing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't tie the right knots with braid, it will sinch down on itself and the pressure will actually cut the line from the pressure on itself. The double uni is a great knot! I run 20lb braid with a 2ft, 25lb flouro leader and have caught loads of bass up to 6lb and landed a 42 in Northern with the same setup.......no problems. You can get a spool of 25lb Yo-zuri FC in any Dicks right in the same section as the rest of the line. Should run you $10-$15.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost enough fish to a nicked fluoro leader that I gave up on them. Braid takes a ton of abuse before it even thinks of failing. I think that largemouth bass really don't care about seeing braided line.

BTW, I agree with Tim about the double uni knot, but I've also used a J-knot to join a fluoro leader to braid. It's a much smaller knot and plenty strong. Whichever knot that you use, just don't forget to re-tie your leaders fairly often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried that j-knot... actually never heard of it... til now... I'm gonna try it out. Looks easy enough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using wacky rigged senkos, ribbit frogs for topwater (these have been working...assuming since they are topwater and the line isnt seen). I have texas rigged and wacky rigged senkos...not many swimbaits. I also have tried some drop shots.

All the knots I tie are polamer knots.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for drop shotting I think that you have to use fluoro or, at least, mono. I've never even gotten a hit when I've drop shotted with braid. Oops, I take that back; I got a sunny once at middle Bolton Lake. I brought one setup with six pound Trilene mono spooled on the reel with me to Rainbow Reservoir for that reason. I also used it to throw a small roostertail about a mile with the blowing wind. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some nice Fluorocarbon today. I am going to give it a shot. Thinking of hitting Mansfield Hollow early Saturday morning before the storm.

Thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate it!

-Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: