CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: looking for articles about Rod & Reel Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: looking for articles about Rod & Reel Reply with quote

There is lots of information on the nets but being a new guy I don't really know what's good readin or not...

I am looking for some text/video articles that talk about bass rods, action and how it differes with different lines and reels. Also gear ratio and how it works with presentation and then maybe a separate article that talks about different presentation methods for different lures.

If you know of any good links hook me up...no pun intended.
cobalt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try http://www.bassresource.com/

theres a lot of different articles there
shaggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also like to add that I am not looking for the first website you can google..I can do that.

I am looking for articles to which members have read and said, "Damn, that's a good article, I learned a lot."

I will look over that site though ...thanks.
P.DONA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot to be found right on YOUTUBE !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggs,

Get yourself a years subscription to Bassmaster Magazine, it is by far the best bass related magazine out there. I have been fishing Bass tournaments for over 15 years and still learn new tecniques and keep up on new baits, rods, reels etc. Well worth the $20 per year, or what ever it costs to renew these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.DONA wrote:
There is a lot to be found right on YOUTUBE !

I am sure there is..I bet I could spend all day watching video's from both amateur and pro...or even from the manufacturer

Is there a video that you watched on youtube that talked about rods/reels that you thought was highly informational? That's what I am looking for.

If you don't know of any off the top of your head then no worries. Figured with all the fishing talent on these forums someone would have come across information that taught them something new or reconfirmed what they knew and that's what I am hoping to get out of this post.

I've spent the last two weeks surfing the net and will continue but help me cut through some of the junk.
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bassmaster.com
Bassmaster Magazine
BASS FTR Magazine (Fishing Takle Retail)
Bass Times
Bassfan.com
BassZone
Bass Fishing Homepage
www.flwoutdoors.com

All are places to look for and find the information you're looking for. Yeah, it takes time to look around for the specifics, but it's worth it.

Watch bass fishing shows on television too. They're generally going to tell you what they're using in different conditions.
shaggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish wrote:
www.bassmaster.com
Bassmaster Magazine
BASS FTR Magazine (Fishing Takle Retail)
Bass Times
Bassfan.com
BassZone
Bass Fishing Homepage
www.flwoutdoors.com

All are places to look for and find the information you're looking for. Yeah, it takes time to look around for the specifics, but it's worth it.

Thanks...been spending most my time on bassmaster.com will check these other sites out.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/

Last edited by chuckc on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means...stay on Bassmaster.com!!!! Laughing Laughing

Ok, I'm showing my bias. Seriously though...you just have to look deeper sometimes. For instance, if you're wanting to do a bunch of shallow cranking, you've got to seek out the articles to match the technique. Just depends how deep you want to look. The information is out there.
shaggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish wrote:
By all means...stay on Bassmaster.com!!!! Laughing Laughing

Ok, I'm showing my bias. Seriously though...you just have to look deeper sometimes. For instance, if you're wanting to do a bunch of shallow cranking, you've got to seek out the articles to match the technique. Just depends how deep you want to look. The information is out there.

I wasn't looking for any article...would like one that a member read and was impressed.

I did find this one which answered many questions

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/buying_fishing_rod.html

reason for this post is recently I went fishing with my brother in some private ponds catching 1-5 lb'ders (no camera as my brother had recently gotten it soaked but will bring mine next time.) so my brother said my rod sucked...I have one of his old ugly sticks which I thought was good since it was his and a different friend of mine swears by it so it must be good, right?. well my brother knows his stuff so I ask why and he tells me it's a sloppy cast and I can't feel anything.

He goes on to something about medium action and mono vs braid. I just don't understand how different poles do different things and how you can feel rocks, weeds, or structure underwater (maybe because I have a a sloppy rod?). so my bro tells me to get this one cabela's pole for 30 or if I have cash a coi something or other that would cost 60.

I am strapped for cash so I will be getting the cabela's one but it just got me to thinking why? What's the difference? and when I do go get one what length? I got a reel and I don't know the gear ratio or model number..I do know it's a quantem. (spelling) and it's last years model. for the record this is hard learning a new sport. I am a PC gamer and I can rattle off computer builds, driver versions, and code... but get me in a boat with a pole and I am dumb.

Things I will do to improve is look into subscribing to that magazine and keep reading through online stuff.

Thanks..
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your brother was refering to a ST Croix rod. I like them, and I have some ST Croix's, some feel they are too heavy. It all depends what you want to spend. I think you can get away with 1 rod if you need to. I would buy the best rod I could afford $60 to $100, a 6' 6" med action graphite rod, like a ST. Croix or a Shimano, Team Diawa or something like that. I would put 10lb. Berkley florocarbon line on it, and be able to throw almost anything in open water and around light cover.

I would not buy a Cabela's rod, just my 2 cents. Maybe it would treat you ok, I don't know, but I would use a tournament tested product myself. A product designed for tournament anglers by tournament anglers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaggs wrote:
Would also like to add that I am not looking for the first website you can google..I can do that.

Oh, in that case Shaggs.

Here ya go!

Last edited by cobalt on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Cobalt!!!! LMFAO!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobalt wrote:
shaggs wrote:

Oh, in that case Shaggs.

Here ya go!

I realized it did come off wrong after I read it again a few hours later but it was too late....if it means anything I've spent the last 6 hours on that site and 3 of the articles answered 90% of what I was looking for...so you're post was the most helpful.

and I am not a dick..I am just anal, and I had asked for specific articles not a general link.. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: