CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: looking for suggestions on a new jig rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
next level

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: looking for suggestions on a new jig rod Reply with quote

i've been starting to throw alot of jigs lately and they range from 1/2 oz.-1 oz. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that they could give on a new rod. i'm using the daiwa viento reel with a team daiwa v series 7 ft. med. hvy moderate action tip on it. (chuck you know which one it is) i think it's too stiff of a rod for me for jigs because i've had trouble landing good fish with it during the fight to get them up. it feels as if there's too much backbone and not enough flex in the tip of the rod. should i be using a rod with a fast action tip instead? i'm willing to spend around 100-140 dollars on a new one but i want to make sure i'm buying the correct rod.

i was looking at the daiwa s bass rods. the ones with the green handles. they make a 7 ft. med hvy fast action jigging and worm rod. does anyone know if these are nice rods or not?

thanks in advance for your help.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 7'6 Green TD-S. The best rod around $100.00
next level

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow a 7' 6". i've never used a rod over 7 ft. i don't know if that would be too long for me chuck. it's definitely good to know that the s rods are good ones though. you don't find that the 7' 6" rod is too long when casting? i think i would have trouble casting that long of a rod. i would almost be afraid to buy that long of a rod just for the fact it will hang off the front of my boat by almost a foot and a half. i don't have too much room on the front deck of my boat and no rod storage compartments. do you think i could check yours out this weekend at mansfield if your bringing it? does that one have the telescoping handle? i believe the tough and light one does right?

thanks for the input chuck.

Last edited by next level on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
next level

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know of any places in ct that carry a selection of these rods so i could actually check them out before i buy one chuck?
dave_376

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently went to a seminar where denny brauer was the featured speaker....what he said made alot of sence.he said "if its good enough for me as a professional it is good enough for us as amatures!" he uses a dawia green handle 7'6". it is a flipping stick. basially you will never need to cast with it you will pitch or flip with it. in general you will get a better hook up ratio the closer the ji is to the rod tip...the less line out the better the hook set you will get. with my flipping stick and my shimano castaic i can pitch at least 60 feet which is more than enough. i also use 50 or 65 lb power pro.
next level

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow interesting! thanks for the input dave. i went and looked at them last night. i think i might be getting one soon.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember they also colapse to 6'0 so it is easy to store. Very Happy

Last edited by chuckc on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dave_376

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

som more food for thought...i was also thinking of getting a new flipping stick but my biggest issue with dawia is no warantee...shimano offers lifetime. this year i purchased a 3 of the crucial line 2 baitcasters and one spinning rod...the spinning 6'3 smallmouth rod quiclky has become my favorite and most used spinning rod and i find that i use my crucial baitcasters more than any of my other 10 or 12 baitcaster...in fact i love one of the so much im thinking of getting a second. i would definately look into a crucial either of these are good the CRCX76MH is a 7'6" Medium Heavyaction with an Extra Fast tipit is rated 10-20 lb mono/ 20-50 in braid and 3/8oz to 1oz or its big brother the rod i want to get since i use 65 lb braid
CRC76H 7'6" Heavy action Fast tip 12-25 lb mono/ 30-65 in braid 3/8oz to 1 1/4 i should also mention that the dawias are cheaper at 120 and the shimanos are 160 but a guaranteed forever.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_376 wrote:
som more food for thought...i was also thinking of getting a new flipping stick but my biggest issue with dawia is no warantee...shimano offers lifetime. this year i purchased a 3 of the crucial line 2 baitcasters and one spinning rod...the spinning 6'3 smallmouth rod quiclky has become my favorite and most used spinning rod and i find that i use my crucial baitcasters more than any of my other 10 or 12 baitcaster...in fact i love one of the so much im thinking of getting a second. i would definately look into a crucial either of these are good the CRCX76MH is a 7'6" Medium Heavyaction with an Extra Fast tipit is rated 10-20 lb mono/ 20-50 in braid and 3/8oz to 1oz or its big brother the rod i want to get since i use 65 lb braid
CRC76H 7'6" Heavy action Fast tip 12-25 lb mono/ 30-65 in braid 3/8oz to 1 1/4 i should also mention that the dawias are cheaper at 120 and the shimanos are 160 but a guaranteed forever.

I think someone mislead you with Daiwa not having a warranty. I have over 15 Team Daiwa baitcasting rod and reel set ups and everytime I have broke one it was replaced with no questions asked. I know the plain daiwa stuff dosen't carry a warranty, but ALL the Team Daiwa gear carries a warranty, rods and reels. Wink

I do use all Shimano spinning gear though. I think they are light years ahead of Daiwa when it comes to spinning gear. I have owned every Team Daiwa spinning reel and rod except the Steez and the can't come close to a Shimano Stradic and a Cruicial rod.

All statements above are opinions and nothing more!!!! Mr. Green
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone mislead you with Daiwa not having a warranty. I have over 15 Team Daiwa baitcasting rod and reel set ups and everytime I have broke one it was replaced with no questions asked. I know the plain daiwa stuff dosen't carry a warranty, but ALL the Team Daiwa gear carries a warranty, rods and reels. Wink

according to the dawia web site the steez and the cielo have a lifetime and the light and tought has a 5 year the dawia s has nothing. i was basing my comment on that information. it may not be correct but it was their site. if they have a lifetime i would put more thought into a dawia s flipping stick but not for a 5year pr nothing
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO You will be hard pressed to find a better rod in that $100-200 range than a Shimano Crucial.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
IMO You will be hard pressed to find a better rod in that $100-200 range than a Shimano Crucial.

Next tourney I will let you take a few cast with one of my TD-s flippin rods. You will see why all the pro's use that rod(like Denny Brauer, Takahiro Omori, Mike Iaconelli, Jay Yelas ,George Cochran etc....). I don't know if all there casting rods are as good but the Flippin rod is awesome and I have used a ton of Flippin rods from alot of Manufactuers and I still use the same TD-S I bought in 1997 when Denny Brauer was really pushing them.

As for the warranty I don't know why it isn't listed in the specs online but if you give them a call I am sure they will tell you the rods do have warranty.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set the record straight,..I was actually suggesting the Crucial based on my experience with their other models,....personally, I use Kistler Heliums for my pitching and flipping rods.
They are considerably more expensive, so I had left them out of the discussion, ..but I am curious to try your TD next time I see you Chuck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: