CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Looking into new Surf Rod Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TryHardCTx37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dito on the electrical tape... Hockey tape works nice too... I have found tica to always have a very stiff action... Tsunami is crap and okuma r nice for conventional jogging gear but I dnt think they do to much in the way of surf gear... I wld look into gloomis or mabey even a lami... I wld buy the best you can aford if you looking for distance cheap rods just arnt balenced like some of the more Expensive stuff... Both companies have a wid vRity of rods I wld recomend going to feel a rod before u buy it especially if ur woried about lenght of the butT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Fishfinder is dead on with the electrical tape. Works wonders. Going shorter is not going to yield further casts. When you are talking about distance, what do you mean? Are you planning on throwing lighter stuff like you typically fish, or heavier plugs or weight? If you're casting big pencils, metal lips, tins or chunking, a rod in the 10-12' range is far better. For casting distance, you can't come close to a conventional reel with a spinner. I'm talking about a difference in going from a few hundred feet, to being able to put a chunk out a few hundred yards. Google distance casting and you can really see. I just don't see a big increase in casting distance in a 6'-6" to 8' rod.

Plugs and topwaters I throw for the bigger fish on my Premium Surf setup include heavier plastics such as Bomber Long A Mag, 13cm 1 5/8 ounce Rapala X-Rap Jointed Shad, 8cm 1 ounce Rapala Clackin Rap, and 17cm 1 ounce Rapala Max Rap and heavier Abachi and Balsa woods such as 12cm 1 1/2 ounce Rapala Saltwater Skitter Pop, 16cm 1 ounce Rapala Flat Rap, 14cm 1 1/2 ounce Rapala Super Shad Rap, and 12cm 1 1/3 ounce Rapala Glidin Rap.

Smaller plastics and woods I throw for the smaller fish on a lighter setup include 9cm 3/8 ounce Rapala Shallow Shad Rap, 9cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Skitter Pop, 7cm 5/8 ounce Rapala Clackin Rap, 10cm 7/16 ounce Rapala Saltwater X-Rap, 10cm 3/8 ounce Rapala Flat Rap, 12cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Husky Jerk, 9cm 3/8 ounce Rapala Clackin Minnow, 7cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Rattlin Rap, 9cm 1/2 ounce Rapala X-Rap Walk, and 13cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Max Rap.

What I mean by distance is getting out an extra 20 or 30 feet or so.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TryHardCTx37 wrote:
Dito on the electrical tape... Hockey tape works nice too... I have found tica to always have a very stiff action... Tsunami is crap and okuma r nice for conventional jogging gear but I dnt think they do to much in the way of surf gear... I wld look into gloomis or mabey even a lami... I wld buy the best you can aford if you looking for distance cheap rods just arnt balenced like some of the more Expensive stuff... Both companies have a wid vRity of rods I wld recomend going to feel a rod before u buy it especially if ur woried about lenght of the butT

Thank you for the tips and bringing up a good point THCT.

I'm gonna consider getting some help from Stratford B&T and West Point Marine so I can get a feeling of the rod butt and how stiff it is before purchasing. Stiffness is another thing now that you mentioned it. Very stiff rods with hardly any flexibility I don't like cause of the weight you feel while casting.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lami is real nice but its also wayyyyyyyyyy out of the price range he said. The smaller Tica's have decent action, obviously the bigger ones are stiffer as they need to br for weight ratings but yeah they might be a little stiffer then the G loomis but also a fraction of the price. IMO they are a very nice pole and dollar for dollar a better pole. It may not suite everyones needs though as they dont have a huge variety.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plugs and topwaters I throw for the bigger fish on my Premium Surf setup include heavier plastics such as Bomber Long A Mag, 13cm 1 5/8 ounce Rapala X-Rap Jointed Shad, ..............10cm 3/8 ounce Rapala Flat Rap, 12cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Husky Jerk, 9cm 3/8 ounce Rapala Clackin Minnow, 7cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Rattlin Rap, 9cm 1/2 ounce Rapala X-Rap Walk, and 13cm 1/2 ounce Rapala Max Rap.....Very stiff rods with hardly any flexibility I don't like cause of the weight you feel while casting.

Seeing the above, you might get more distance with simply going to some of the new slick braids (ala FishFinder). Shorter than what you have will sacrifice leverage. On the other hand, if you go too stiff, you won't get a proper load to increase casting distance. Surf casting is all L(everage)&L(oading). Just a thought, but if you have the 8'6" setup you like, maybe look at a longer/stiffer setup to throw more weight further??? I usually take two such outfits with me when I surf fish. I just can't throw some of the lighter stuff you're casting with my longer surf rods, and my lighter MH setup will be overloaded if I want to cast a heavy Danny type plug or chunks. When you go into your shop to look at rods, ask them to throw a reel on and just see how the rod loads with the type of weight your typically throwing, feel action and the flex through the handle as you drop the rod back. Hell, cast it if they'll let you. Just remember, as I tell my wife, fishing rods are to men what shoes are to women. You can never have too many!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.

Last edited by Redneckangler on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
getthosestripes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get some hevier lures

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally my favorite website for buying saltwater gear is tackle direct.... They have the best prices, best selection and the fastest shipping as the have a warehouse in nj...give it a look before you buy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF & RNA......

What are some of the better braids as for smoothness and handling? What I've always liked about mono is it's easy to cut, doesn't burn you, smooth texture, and not to many worries about cuts on the fingers. Some monos I've used make it easy to undo a little knot on the line too.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Pro Super slick 8 is very smooth!!! There are other brands and they get expensive. I just bought 1500 yards of this Powerpro on Ebay for $118 with shipping, in a store it would cost about $200. Dicks usually has the 300 yard on sale for about $34 but normally its about $40 or so. The slkick casts better then the standard Powerpro and wont wear on your rod eyes and bail and stuff. It will cut you though if you get snagged and try to yank it by hand.

TryHardCTx37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u start fishing braid u will have to tape your fingers....don't figure this out the hard way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get finger guards cheap on eBay. Need one casting big surf lures over and over.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
getthosestripes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hell ya. any braid will gut you. mono will still even cut you but you dont throw heavy enough lures to experience that though

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Power Pro Super slick 8 is very smooth!!! There are other brands and they get expensive. I just bought 1500 yards of this Powerpro on Ebay for $118 with shipping, in a store it would cost about $200. Dicks usually has the 300 yard on sale for about $34 but normally its about $40 or so. The slkick casts better then the standard Powerpro and wont wear on your rod eyes and bail and stuff. It will cut you though if you get snagged and try to yank it by hand.

Never knew braid was that expensive! Shocked
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price is for 50 lb test. That being said at least on Ebay the prices are all over the place as some of the lower test is more expensive then the bigger but then you jump down another size and its cheaper then both and if you go higher it can get cheaper also. This I noticed with many of the cellars so it must be demand on certain best selling sizes I guess. And yes it will cut the crap out of you!! While casting a 3 ounce Superstrike on a tight dock I accidentally caught the rail with the plug and continued to whip it. That took about 3 bandaids thick to continue to fish that day! OUCH!!!!!!!!! Any deeper and I would have needed stitches.

getthosestripes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try casting a 3 ounce wooden plug when your drags to loose and slips in your finger. hurts like damn hell actualy had to get stitches for that one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: