CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Looking to invest in some gear...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishaLou

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Looking to invest in some gear... Reply with quote

I currently use a cheap $20 Shakespeare Xterra I bought at Sports Authority which I haven't been having very good luck with lately. Since I'm really starting to get into bass fishing, I think it's about time to invest in some decent equipment. I'd like to do a little research before I make the investment. So, perhaps you guys could help me out.

What I'd like is a good freshwater Bass setup. I don't have any sort of boat so I'd need something that can cast pretty far from shore. I really just use lures (crankbaits/jerkbaits mostly) and not live bait. Can anyone recommend a good rod/reel/line combo? I'd say my price range is $50-$150. Thanks!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Shimano symetre and shimano rod combo will run you around a $120.00 at Sport Authority and would be a good choice to start.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a St. Criox Premier 6' 6" med action graphite spinning rod, paired with an Okuma Expiror reel. I have a bunch of these combo's, and I love them. I fish bass tournaments, and am on the water every other weekend, and a little in between, and they have never failed me yet.

Some guys don't like the okuma's, and have had bad expiriences with them, but for the price I think their great.

Every now and then Dick's will have them on sale, both the St.Croix rods and the Okuma reels, but unlikely at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm thinking I might hit Cabelas after work. After some reasearch, it seems the Shimano Crucial is a popular rod, so I'm thinking I may try the Crucial with the Shimano Symetre. That reel is on sale at Cabelas right now, so I'm thinking that would be a good choice. It would still run me about $200, but I'd be willing to cough that up for a solid setup.

There are a few more things i'm unsure about...

There are Crucial Casting rods and Spinning rods, I'm guessing I'd want the spinning rod to go with the Symerte spinning reel? I still want a good set-up for casting though. I'm wondering if I should consider a casting rod/reel.

Another thing I need to figure out is what length/action I want on the rod, and what gear ratio I want on the reel. I'm a bit lost when it comes to all that.

I'm a bit confused about what type of line would be best to put on this too. I hear good things about fluorocarbon line, but i'm unsure what line would be best for me.

Hahah I never realized how much there was to take into consideration when purchasing a new rod.... but hopefully the people at Cabelas can help me out with this stuff.

Thanks for the input guys!
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents from the couch.

I like the Shimano rods with the Pfluger reel for bait casting. Depending on the style of fishing drop-shot etc. I mostly use a 7' MH with a fast tip.

I switch to Co-poly this year and I really like it, however I stick with braid for the weeds and pads.

FishaLou,

The best thing you can do is to fish with guys that really know what they are doing. I started fishing about three years ago and if it wasn't for my friends here and guy I fish with a lot I'd still be using a bobber and worms.

Tournament Force also has classes which are really great. http://tfbass.com/osCommerce/catalog/

Ron

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiahalou:

Check your PM box

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: