CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: looking to know what you like:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: looking to know what you like: Reply with quote

hey guys, i asked a question concerning most popular color choices for senko style baits and had a few replies that helpped abit.

i have talked with a few small soft bait companies based out west and was interested in starting a small thing such as them. with this thought i am looking for some feedback on color choices, sizes and types of bait that everyone uses. for example from what i have seen the most used soft baits consist of curl tail worms ranging from 4"-7", stick worms from 4"-5", jerkbaits 5" and creature baits such as brush hogs and beavers between 3.5"-6".

if anyone has feedback please help me out so that i may get this off the ground sooner than later,

thanks guys,
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft jerkbaits/senkos are probably the most used bait as far as I am concerned.

A GREAT jig trailer could put you out there and develope your company but you have to create it.

FInesse dropshot stuff is pretty popular too.
djmon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks nickp,
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for color I prefer motor oil, black and dark purple.

Justin
Pappy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft pastics is a highly competitive market, even locally.

I helped one local guy get his business on the internet.

You can chek out his product, color choices, pricing, etc. here.

www.jigheadslures.com

He focuses on stickbaits (senko knock offs) keeps his color selection somehwat limited, as well as his length and offers them as a very reasonable price. They are more durable than the Senko and work just as well. I think he's about to add a 7.5" to his line up.

Hope this is helpful.

Walt
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Pappy said,..making softbaits is very competitive. You cannot expect to get yamamoto prices for your baits,..so make sure that you factor that in to your decisions.

I have a few friends that have been doing this for years,..and it takes quite a while to become known and established at all. I am not trying to talk you out of it,..but just be aware that it is not something that you are going to do and get rich at,..or even just make a few bucks at,...right away! Although everyone uses soft plastics,..most people already have their favorites and trying to get them to switch (or even getting them to just TRY...) your baits will not be easy!
Just my $.02 Wink
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet to get people to try um is to take a hite and give away say one package of baits per angler. for a limited time or a limited number of people.

People cant refuse free and you can add these people to your "test" group and they can give you any advice to make the bait better etc.
stumpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan even if you just starting out making them for yourself, it must be rewarding to be able to get some fish on your own homemade baits. Beavers are my favorite for a dropbait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: