CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Lowrance Transducer Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Lowrance Transducer Mount Reply with quote

I just bought a Lowrance Elite-4x fish finder for my kayak but I'm not really sure where the best spot is to mount the transducer. Also, I don't want to drill into the kayak so does anybody have suggestions on how to mount the bracket without drilling? Thanks in advance!
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of transducer? Skimmer that came with it or shoot thru hull? I have that fish finder on my hobie and ran it through a scupper hole under my seat.
You can put it inside and use marine epoxy but you won't get an accurate temperature reading and may get a false bottom (ghost) reading.
You can try mounting it to a piece of 3/4 PVC.Run the wire up the PVC and mount that somewhere on the top or high on the side.Use a screw and wing nut so you can swing it up and out of the way when you are transporting your yak.
I have a shoot thru transducer that i picked up PRIOR to finding out i can rig mine thru a scupper hole.It ran me like 70 bucks and Cabelas had to order it from Lowerance.If you get stuck i can hook you up.
I'll see if i can find some information on rigging up a sit inside.
I'm sure there are others here that have ideas.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with the idea of taking the mounting bracket and bending it so that it fits around the back side of the kayak. Then I'm going to take Velcro and use that to actually get it to stick to the kayak. It may fall off but I'm gonna try it.
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
I came up with the idea of taking the mounting bracket and bending it so that it fits around the back side of the kayak. Then I'm going to take Velcro and use that to actually get it to stick to the kayak. It may fall off but I'm gonna try it.

you may want to epoxy/glue the velcro.Odds are the water will cause the velcro to loose it's adhesiveness.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured I would have to do. I just don't feel like drilling holes into a brand new kayak Razz
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?83643-FF-Transducer-mount

check this link for inside installation seems like it will work.

bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually looks pretty cool. Maybe I will try to build something similar instead
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electrical putty duct sealant for inside installation.further down the page there are pictures.

avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd you make out?

bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically finished it today. Only have to find a way to get the wires to the battery out of the way. I ended up drilling two small holes on the top of the kayak for two bolts to hold the mount down. It's still very portable as I can take the entire unit off by just unscrewing two nuts. Will post a picture when I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: