CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Lucky Setup that gets you into Fish and Action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Lucky Setup that gets you into Fish and Action Reply with quote

So far this surf season I have caught only 1 fish on my heavier 8 foot setup. The fish was a monster sea robin. Other than catching a fish with it, I have gotten a few hits with no other hooksets.

I bring either my 7 footer or 7'6" light action setup and I'm into fish or get plenty of hits most of the time. Lost 2 keeper stripers, landed a new PB CT keeper, landed my first weakfish, landed a new PB bluefish from the surf, and have had great quantity days.

It seems like the gator blues and keeper stripers are saying, "he's ready for us with his 8 foot setup!" when I bring my 8 footer and they say, "we'll give him a good battle to test his strength and skill" when I bring my lighter setups.

Whether it be freshwater or saltwater fishing, ever had times like this?
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9' medium with a penn 550 SSG that has landed me more fish than any other setup i've ever used. The best part is that the rod only cost me 10 bucks. I picked it up at this lighting fixture store on rt. 156. The owner had barrels of un-named rods in the back of the store and i've had the rod for about 4 or 5 years and with the exception of a new tip, the rod is still in great shape.

I've caught stripes up to 22lbs on the no name "lucky" rod and I use it more than my heavier 10' Dawia Saltiga with an 8000 Shimano Saragosa.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have various "nicer" rods, but all of my biggest LMB (and SMB actually) have come on a 5'6" light action shakespeare rod. It's not even an ugly stik... just an ancient fiberglass rod. The spot where the two halves come together is actually metal. It's very flexible with very little backbone... making long casts and hook sets difficult. I usually fish wacky rigged "finesse worms" with it, with a circle hook, so i don't have to actually set the hook.

Found it in my grandfather's garage a few years ago amongst dozens of others lol

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 rods that have been doing it for me are a 7' MH Daiwa Procyon freshwater and 7'6" M Okuma SST Salmon Spin freshwater. Both have a Penn Sargus 4000 on them and line is 10 pound Sufix Tritanium.

The 2 8 footers that have hardly been getting any attention are a Daiwa Emcast and Star Rods Aerial Surf. The Daiwa has a Penn Fierce 6000 with 17 pound Sufix Tritanium and the Aerial has a Penn Sargus 5000 with the same line.

Another weird thing that happens often is I'm throwing smaller and lighter plugs, crankbaits, and topwaters ranging from 3 1/8 inches to 6 inches with those lighter setups and I get into either good quantity or a few quality.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so weird because I catch fish on whatever rod is called for in the situation I'm fishing ! I guess all my rods are lucky !!!!
WoooooHooooo!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: