CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Making the transition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Making the transition Reply with quote

After a few months of "tire kicking" a few different yaks, I finally purchased my first, a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. I tossed it in Stamford Harbor yesterday for a quick ride, and I can already tell... I'm hooked.

Until I start to get really comfortable, I'm kinda hesitant to paddle in these cold water months by myself. That said, anyone down to team up and show a newbie the ropes of yak fishing? I live in Stamford, and work in Shelton, so the entire western half of the CT coast is fair game. Shoot me a PM and let's make it happen!

Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats,..I know you are excited, but be very careful of the water temps that will be dropping fast this time of year!
You should have the right apparel (dry pants & top or full suit ,..or a drytop and chest waders etc) to be able to survive a plunge into the water temps that you are fishing in. This is expecially important in the salt, since you are likely to encounter rougher conditions there,..but I know a well experienced yaker who rolled in some fresh water also! All it takes is leaning and reaching the wrong way for something without thinking,...I almost did it myself one time, when a rod fell overboard!

That being said,..I hope you have a blast out there! It's gonna be sketchy at first and fishing from a low seated position takes some getting used to,..but you will be loving life in that thing by next season!!
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water temperature at the mouth of the Connecticut River was 49.5 to 50.5 degrees, today. We tried to keep an eye on the few kayakers we saw, but saw other boaters waking them pretty badly. More than anything else, it's other boaters who scare me when I'm on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddling cold water is the biggest thing deterring me from taking this bad boy out. I would really like to go out in a group or at least with someone else for my first few times, but this is proving harder to do than I thought.

Great point on the waders/dry top combo. I have a wetsuit that I was considering wearing underneath some rain gear, but If I can pick up a cheap dry top and pair it with neoprene chest waders I already have, that should work great. I've always been told to stay away from waders on a kayak, but matching them with a dry top should solve the issues presented.
SheltonTom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL, I live in Shelton and just got my yak about a month ago. I've only been out on it four times, once with a group out of Branford and the others out on the Housatonic by myself. I've benn fishingyhe Housy from shore for a while now. I think I'm going to go out on Monday, either into the Sound for togs or on the Housy, depending on weather and who else is going out. Let me know if you want to join up. I probably can't hit the water until about 11:00.

If anyone else reading this post is interested let me know.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the area as well.
if you guys plan to hit up fresh water, including Housatonic,I am in.

if you plan to go on the weekends, then def count me in
Fitoct2000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Hi I'm from Stamford Reply with quote

I'm not a expert I kayak fishing for like 3 years now and I know how hard it's to get a partner for paddling and fishing
So get in touch if ur interested I will start in the spring
I always fish alone will be nice to have a partner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: