CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mansfield Hollow 6/6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Mansfield Hollow 6/6 Reply with quote

Got a late start today and had to change plans due to weather (planned on Congamond). Hit the water about 9am w/ my 13 yr old nephew. Fished the lower basin mostly around the eastern shore. Fished for about 6 hrs with 10 LMB & 2 pickerel. All bass were 12-16 in with 1 bigger that got off at the boat. These fish would run right towards the boat and jump often. It was almost like they had learned how to throw a hook! Caught most on a small spinnerbait - brown/redish w/ gold willowleaf blades & brown w/ black flake curly tailed grub trailer. It was very refreshing not having to deal with boat control on the river like I have been doing for most of the year so far.. It was a great day, but I was only half heartedly bass fishing. I was looking for pike. I was very surprised that I didn't catch one even on accident. Does anyone have any tips on Mansfield Hollow pike? I feel like I can catch them if I can find them, but we didn't even spook one while casting. No signs at all. Any suggestions? By the way, the water temp was 78.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to find deep, dark, cold holes for northern pike after the water warms up?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were fishing mostly shallow, but even though the water was very warm, I would think it is a little early for the cold water species to go deep for the summer. There wasn't much deep water there anyway. Only a few isolated spots are more than around 12 ft. Also, I know this lake does not stratify due to insufficient depth and strong flow from feeder streams. If the flow is strong, there should be plenty of oxygen. Again, this is all theory based on litterature. If I had the answers I'd have been catching pike instead of fishing for pike. Embarassed I did however catch pike in 1ft of water last year at Hopeville on July 4 weekend. Hopeville is more like a river than a lake, though.

Next time at Mansfield I'll try to stay in the 8-12ft range and throw bigger baits. But it's hard to stop fishing a lure that's catchin bass!!! Razz
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a small lipless crankbait a try. I have had "success" in the past hooking Pike with them, when in fact I really did not want to....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: