CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mansfield Hollow, north 6-21-11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atkins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Mansfield Hollow, north 6-21-11 Reply with quote

5 LMB, 2 on wacky flick it jig, green chart tipped senko, 3 on watermeleon, goldflake cut tail worm on a 1/40z jobee hook (pretty much a texas rigged)
The biggest was 1.5 lbs, coming on the senko

1 pickerel on the cut tail

Fished Mansfield Hollow, north side, yesterday, went counter clockwise for the first time this year.

Caught my first fish using a low profile bait caster, (all they that came on the cut tail) Im not used to using a reel so compact and that fast, 6.5-1, little fish feel much bigger then they are. I havent texas rigged in a while, worked well, glad to have a new option to turn too. The jobee hooks are nice, Dont know if you can get them anymore, but owner makes a bullet off shank jig.
PIKEKILLER1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you fishing for pike or bass???
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, PikeKIller - that's a big fish in your avatar. I'm looking for that one to go on my wall. Care to tell us about it? When, Where, How big was it, etc. Nice fish! I thought mine was big Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on possibly fishing Mansfield over July 4th weekend. I would ove to catch a pike up there. Any Mansfield tips would be great. The whole upper/lower thing has me wondering.
atkins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PikeKiller, I was fishing for bass,

JoMonkey, Its a great lake. The upper and lower are whole different experiences. Upper is more wide open, lower is sprawling with lots of coves. Ive always done better in the north end. As of last I saw the water is low enough for any boater to go through the bassets bridge culvert, if you using a canoe or kayak it doesnt matter you can launch a paddle craft on either side.

I would suggest using watermelon color softplastics in the hollow, its pretty murky. Wacky rigging has almost always worked for me there, shallow crank baits too.

Ive only caught two pike there, in my life for that matter, both came on ripping crankbaits. one was lipless, one was a rapala DT 6. Id go with bright/perch pattern. Both were also caught with the attention of catching a pike too. One guy told me walking a zara spook is good for them too.
The DEP hasnt been stocking it lately, but people have been catching em, CTOutfitters latest report suggested live lining shiners.
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience is that place is really hard to catch pike. I don't know if the numbers are low or what, but I have spent a lot of time looking for them on that lake without success. Go to Bantam. Much better pike lake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lake I need to try out. Bass gotta be big too with the pike clearing out the dinks.
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. And yes I need to fish Bantam too. Ive only gone there to just paddle.
PIKEKILLER1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Woah, PikeKIller - that's a big fish in your avatar. I'm looking for that one to go on my wall. Care to tell us about it? When, Where, How big was it, etc. Nice fish! I thought mine was big Embarassed
If you think that one is big. I got alot bigger. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: