CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Mashapaug 9/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Mashapaug 9/4 Reply with quote

Visited Mashapuag on Tuesday, on the water by 5:30am (That seems to be my starting time everywhere I go).

Started working the banks from the ramp using top-water lures, Jitterbug etc. no action. Switched to a buzz-bait then a spinner-bait, tubes nothing..

At around 7:00am the sun was up, water was 73deg, clear clean water and I see about 10+ feet. Still working the banks when I heard some splashing behind me in the center of the cove where I was.

I notice that the water was boiling and moving around in circles, so I had to go check this out. I trolled slowly over to where this commotion was and I notice that the baitfish was schooling and going crazy.

I used my Humminbird wide-side fish finder to see what was going on and I seem larger fish under the baitfish. I quickly tied on a silver and black lipless crank bait and started throwing past the school and letting it sink like a dying fish with cranking it for a few seconds.

This seemed to work GREAT. Second cast 2lb SMB; third cast another 2lb SMB, fourth, fifth, sixth on and on. A half an hour later 11 SMB total one just under 18” long. I stopped weighting them so I could continue casting. All this was going on in 24FOW.

I honestly got tied of catching fish (never thought I’d ever say that). This was the craziest occurrence I ever had fresh water fishing. Just4fun said I hit a rare SMB feeding frenzy.

Well now I know where to go for that kind of fun. Oh yeah fished the islands rocks banks every until noon, not one bite.

I do admit I should have used a pig & jig but I’m not the best with them but after seeing Just4fun’s report I need to start using them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Ron,..I need to take a trip up there sometime!!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job, that must have been awesome.

I been fortunate to catch a feeding frenzy like you described 2 times in my life in the fall. I think in the fall the bait fish start to migrate away from their dying cover to safer waters. You can see huge schools of minnows or shad swimming every direction while getting plucked off by predator fish. If you are around when that happens it is an incredible experience. It reminds me of fishing in the ocean when the blues/stripers are hitting on top and the birds are working. Both times I experienced the frenzy, I was catching fish hand over fist.

Justin
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun,

Is that an invite for you and I to go to Mashapaug? You can teach me how you work your jigging magic..

Bass Addict,

I know what you mean about the blitz on the beach. I grew up on long island and the beach was my play gound for fishing.

This freah water stuff is all new to me. It's like a different world.. I have to learn fishing all over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: