CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mashapaug Lake 5-28-10 via canoe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Mashapaug Lake 5-28-10 via canoe Reply with quote

on the water at 1:30pm
off the water at 7pm
Air temp - 80
water temp - 68
Clear sky
visibility to about 10 FOW
all fish caught in 1-3FOW

So today my plan was to dolly my 12ft canoe up to breakneck, but I long story short I decided to turn back and hit up Mashapaug. Breakneck is more of a two person trip, I have an unneeded fear of getting mauled by a black bear and the friendly bear aware signs don't help. Ever since I startled a mom and cubs in my backyard in Mass I am kind of weary of getting charged again.

So I launched at Mashapaug at 1:30pm and went skunk city working the first cove. After lunch I Paddled over to a much to a much larger cove with a rocky bottom on one side and sunken trees on the other. I finally got a smallmouth on a 5" black dinger, my spirits lifted and I caught about 5-6 more smallies and small large mouth till I switched to a weightless brush hog. I found a fallen tree in the far corner and pitched the hog about 10ft from me on the other side of the log, saw the line twitch the to side and set the hook. Fish dove under the log and once I pulled him back out from under it he dove under my boat, now I know why you you guys use flipping sticks and heavy line for pitching to cover. Thankfully my 10lb flouro held up and the fish ended up being only a thick 18" but man was it pissed when it saw me. Got another 17" on a senko, I kept trying to fish jigs but I think even when I try to fish slow I still fish too fast.

Ended the day with about 15 fish total but only 4 or so over 16", was hoping for more but it'll do.

Dirty smallie, 1st fish of the day

18" (you can see the log he pulled me over)

17" (still can't figure out how to get me and all of the fish in the same pic)

I forget

My boat fully loaded with gear that I tried to drag through the woods to breakneck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by DV on Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phish

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job and thanks for the report. I've always wanted to get up to Mash and check that place out more. Only been up there once and for a short period of time. Good job with the pics. Those self portraits are always hard to get.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

Those largemouth bass look healthier than the ones we pull out of Spring Pond.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish! That is one hell of a canoe setup! You wont get attacked by bears on your way to breakneck, but when you get there you might be missing your picnic basket. Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DV does your camera have a timer on it? If it does just make a camera stand for it out of pvc pipe thats how I roll when I go by myself in my canoe or boat.
DV

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BT my camera has a timer and I have a cheap tripod but I never though to bring it with me. Look like I need to add some more bs to the canoe.

Phish - Mashapaug while only being 300acres is a huge lake in my eyes, I could go there 100 times and still not fish the same spot. The only negative about it is it's immense popularity with pleasure boaters. I spent the entire day listening to a dog on a pontoon boat bark at passing boats.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job DV. At least on Mashapaug you and your canoe won't get swamped by the pleasure boats because of the 10mph speed limit. Wink
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that first smallmouth looks so unhealthy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught three or four similarly dirty little smallmouth bass on the south end of West Hill Pond, today. They were all under 10 inches and put up less of a fight than any other fish in the pond. A couple of times I wasn't even sure I had a fish on! Plus, they all tried to swallow the hook.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take my profile pic last August I stringered the bass, dislodged my boat from the pads, slowly rowed to the launch, set my camera and tripod up on top of my cooler, used the self-timer to take the photo, then released my (thankfully) well-behaved, patient fish.

This is the real reason people have fishing partners.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Kira the real reason people have fishing partners is so they don't talk their boat for hours a day. I mean my boat is fairly understanding , but it doesn't say much... pretty sure the only thing it says back is "you keep doing that I'm going to tip you over"
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

If you want to know why people need fishing partners, just watch a couple of metalfish's videos! Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
If you want to know why people need fishing partners, just watch a couple of metalfish's videos! Razz

Laughing
metalfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH BABY Razz Razz
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job DV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: