CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Mattabesset River 08/29 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Mattabesset River 08/29 Reply with quote

Although Fishface and I had to paddle through the lower part of the Mattabesset River fairly quickly yesterday due to the quickly falling night, I could tell that it was beautiful enough that my wife might enjoy seeing it. So, I dragged her out of the house and took her for a cruise on my Hobie Pro Angler from the Connecticut River State Wildlife Area down the Connecticut River and up the Mattabesset to the rice fields of Boggy Meadow. We also took a side trip up the Coginchaug River to the railroad bridge. Here's a map of where we cruised:

It was a sunny, hot day, with a slight S breeze. I set my wife up on a low folding chair on the stern of the boat. As I pedaled down the Connecticut to the mouth of the Mattabesset, I quickly realized just how out of shape I am. Although I can double-time paddle a kayak forever, I struggled to find a pedaling pace that I could easily maintain. I also discovered that my wife had brought an umbrella to use as a parasol. . . and a sail! I quickly steered over to the shade along the shore of the river so that she could furl it. We finally reached the total shade of the Route 9 Bridge:

I rigged up my lipless crankbait and a wacky rig. I took a few casts at the bridge pilings with no hits before we continued up the river to the mouth of the Coginchaug:

We headed up the Coginchaug to the railroad bridge:

I threw my crankbait and wacky worm a few times, but didn't get so much as a nibble. We turned around and headed back downriver. When we reached the Mattabesset again we went just a little bit further upriver:

I threw my crankbait and wacky worm as we headed back downriver to the railroad bridge. Although I got a few nibbles, they were from only small fish. At one point, I hooked a largemouth bass that spit the hook when I got it to the surface next to the boat. I said to my wife, "Did you see that?" and she replied, "Yeah, but it was only a little one." Ouch! I told her that I would catch a smallie at the bridge pilings. I threw my wacky worm at the railroad bridge piling and caught an 11 inch smallie. Phew! I finally got one. But that wasn't enough. I pitched the wacky worm at the side of the second Route 9 Bridge piling and caught this 16 inch, 1 pound 14 ounce smallie:

On our way back up the Connecticut, I got a pretty bad cramp in my left leg. You're right, SkeeterJim, I need to get out on my Hobie more often. I'm not sure whether my wife really appreciated her time out on the water. I told her that she would have enjoyed herself more in a bigger fishing boat with a 150 hp motor. We'll have to see where that goes. . . . Cool

Last edited by PECo on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 am; edited 5 times in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a beautiful spot.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil. was the outlet that we thought was the Coginchaug was it, That's funny about the little one. Some people don't get that a 11" fish is a good fish after all the hard work. Pictures came out sweet.

Tim
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil. Those legs will eventually come as long as you keep at it. Soon I'll have you doing 10-15 miles along the shore when I finally get you striper fishing in the Sound. Not sure if you had a depth finder going but there are some deep holes in that river.

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have to hook up my finder. I'm heading to West Hill Pond to practice drop-shotting from my Hobie in a little while. I hate these hot, sunny days!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I can complain about fishing in these nice hot sunny days instead being cooped up in my air conditioned office at work!! Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy

Jim
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that feeling Jim,

Tim
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: BTW Reply with quote

As I told SeaDog1 when I met him a couple of days ago, my wife has said that she's hoping the Hobie will give me buns of steel from all of the pedaling I've been doing. Rolling Eyes

All of you ladies who are lurking out there should know that if SkeeterJim is already pedaling 10 to 15 miles on his Hobie, he already has buns of steel. Wink

Last edited by PECo on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Buns of Steel Question

Nah!, if I see you and SJ peddeling together -> I'd say -> There goes a pair of HARD_SSES! LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Phil what are you doing??!! Very Happy I said I will get you UP TO 10-15 miles meaning I'm working up to it too. It's true, my tush may be buns of steel but I sure wish my abs were like steel too. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jim, my wife has said that she want me to get abs of steel for her, too. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell her the LOVE HANDLES are just hers only!! Gets'em every time. Wink Very Happy

Jim
gecabert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil are both rivers deep enough to bring a bass boat up there?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gecabert

My wife and I passed a bass boat that was heading downriver shortly after we entered the Mattabesset River. Although you could enter the river with a bass boat, I don't think you'd get very far up either it or the Coginchaug River. The Coginchaug gets narrow and then shallow pretty quickly. The Mattabesset stays wide and deep enough for a bass boat through the rice fields of Boggy Meadow, but narrows and gets shallow after that. If you look at the map from my post on 08/28, you can see where Boggy Meadows ends as you head upriver.

If I had a bass boat on the Connecticut River with fully charged trolling motor batteries, I'd fish the bridge pilings of the Dexter Coffin Bridge (aka the Route 91 Bridge). There are some really strong smallies under there.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: