CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Ming Yang conventional reels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Ming Yang conventional reels Reply with quote

So… I’m looking for some new reels for my carp & pike rods (not that I’ve caught a pike yet... sigh). I’m not the most experienced with conventional casting gear, so I’m hoping for some recommendations as far as reel size to match my rods and fishing application. I have a pair of inexpensive 6 1/2 foot MH fiberglass rods that I use. I have some old worn out compact baitcasters on them now, and I am looking to upgrade to something nicer, with a clicker.

On ebay I came across this Ming Yang brand of conventional reels. To take a look at them just search ebay for CL40 reel, CL50 reel, CL60 reel (etc). They seem to be pretty popular with catfishing guys, and striper fishing guys. I was thinking the CL40 would be a good size for what I do, but perhaps the CL50 would be a wiser choice? I generally use 15 or 17 pound mono. I am hoping to avoid something too large or awkward, as I often throw lures for pike with one rod and set up some bait with the other. Does anyone here have experience with these? The CL40 and CL50 each weigh about 12oz which seems like a heavy reel to me… but I could be wrong. Not sure which would be more comfortable to cast repeatedly… smaller diameter & wider, or larger diameter & narrower?

I’d be interested in any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences Smile. On the striper forums I found a huge thread by one guy who’s been fishing CL60’s and CL70’s since 2007 with minimal issues, so they seem pretty reliable…

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
therieldeal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wound up finding some CL50 left hand retrieve reels on clearance for $20 each! Spend $50 and you get free shipping, so I ordered three. I’ll be sure to post a review once I try them out… if anyone else wants to give it a shot, here’s a picture and a link to the sale:

http://www.stingraytackle.com/baitcastingreelcl-60-1.aspx

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: