CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Monster fish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Monster fish Reply with quote

Baldwins pond 6/4/12, Water fall. Fishin at the waterfall, castin to the botton of the falls. Got huge hits. I dont know. Looked like a brown trout, but looked like a catfish. Catfish eat mealworms? jumped like a trout. but looked like a bullhead. I dont know. it hit but didnt eat. set the hook.
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say carp
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Fish>????? Reply with quote

It cant be. there is no carp there. it is too shallow for them. look at this pic
http://www.myrecordjournal.com/frontporch/image_8eb98120-a2ae-11e1-9f3f-001a4bcf887a.html
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve caught plenty of carp near shore in ~2-3 feet of water – how shallow is this pond that you think it’s OK for trout but too shallow for carp? if anything, trout need deeper water.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat's will eat roadkill, but they're not too fond of launching out of the water after a bait. That trout in the pic has to be courtesy of the DEEP. I dont think carp would be a crazy guess. They arent very needy environmentally. If a 7lb rainbow can spend time there, carp sure can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught karp at Mill River in Hamden where the water is only a few feet deep so I know it's definitely a possibility. I guess you'll never know but isn't that the joy of fishing?! Hopefully, you catch that monster next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxpxtx wrote:
Cat's will eat roadkill, but they're not too fond of launching out of the water after a bait. That trout in the pic has to be courtesy of the DEEP. I dont think carp would be a crazy guess. They arent very needy environmentally. If a 7lb rainbow can spend time there, carp sure can.

Also, this. The chances of that rainbow being a native at a place like Baldwin Pond is so slim. It's not a very big body of water.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Carp. They are everywhere...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way home from Twin Brooks Park a few days ago, I counted 13 carp in 1 school on the lower freshwater tidal area of the Pequonnock at Glenwood Park. There were more in the Chopsey Hill Rd tunnel. Water was very low and could easily see them.

I was very surprised to see that many, esp with how low and warm the water was.
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carp are a non-native introduced species, originally from warmer areas of Europe/Asia. Our New England summers are no big deal for these guys. I can’t imagine they enjoy our winters much, though lol. It is definitely surprising how thickly populated they are in certain areas.

I’ve been catching a lot of carp the last few days up here in the northeast corner, sweet corn on the bottom has been working great.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pigs here today. Then again, I didn't fish the waterfall. I'll have to give it a try again soon.
wagnerj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true carp is everywhere as what have observed.
I love fishing and everytime I do it I fish carp and catfish.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when i was fishing i dropped it down. then got a small tug so when i went to set the hook it like jumped out of the water it was huge i went down there my self and saw nothing there that was big just small sunnies and small turtles. i dunno a few years ago i went the for the first time under the bridge and saw a huge carp on the side of where i was standing and jetted off to somewhere out of my eye site. i cant explain it. ive used light spinners and had a few big trout hit em but not stay on. ive also used corn no weight no bobber and caught trout down there 3 times. 1-3 pounds but the one i lost on my spinner was atleast 4-5 pounds. i was so mad i jumped in after it with my net. never saw him..... but there is a new type of fishing ive been doing.... There is a small park called carolls park in meriden, it used to be a bigger place, open to fishing, but closed due to the lack of fishing there, recently went there trying to catch somebair fishwith size 16 hook and used small worm when this huge brown trout comes out of nowhere and grabs it. it bends the crap out of my hook so i try a bigger hook and he throws it 3 times. so i use the biggest hook i got and he gets stuck on it. i finally get him, nice 14 inch brown. and caught another on a small rooster tail. and a small pickerel on rubber worm. theres something coming back. and this stream is only 3 feet deep and 6 feet wide.... its amzing
getthosestripes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUST ME, YOU WOULD KNOW IF IT WAS A CARP. IT WILL LOOK LIKE A DAMN PIG JUMPING OUT OF THE WATER. and if it was a bullhead, those bullheads have somekind of super power. besides they aint huge anyway. mostlikey a trout. probly didnt get a great veiw of it. if you want to catch the carp micheal, throw a whole can of corn into the water and wait bout and hour. come back throw some corn on your hook let it sit. you should see a shit ton of carp and one is bound to pick it up. and by the way, trout do not need deep water. i caught a 35 lb salmon in bout 4.5 feet water. 8 lb rainboow in less then 2 feet. most trout i catch are in less then 2 feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: