CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: montauk sportfishing report 6/2/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arctekjim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: montauk sportfishing report 6/2/08 Reply with quote

Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/2/08 by capt gene--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/2/08
Fishing is pretty damn good right now, both for stripers and fluke, as well as bluefish.
The charter boats are all regularly catching their limits with most fish in the 12-25 pound range. The good old chartreuse parachute is still the favorite method, but diamond jigs are working as well. There are bluefish all over the place and to catch them all you have to do is look for the birds, or even the bluefish themselves swirling on the surface. Occasionally the bass are hanging out under the blues.
Fluke fishing is better than fluke eating, thanks to the 20.5 inch minimum size, but there seems to be an increasing amount of keepers around as well. I spoke to Mike on the BONES early in the week while he was fueling up and he spoke of catching a hundred or so flatties a trip but only keeping four or five. The ratio improved somewhat over the weekend.
Sunday morning I took a little spin to the Lighthouse just to see how many boats were out, and it was a little depressing. The weather was about as good as it gets, but I couldn’t see more than two dozen boats fishing. Thats reflected in the way the party boats are carrying as well, with BONES, probably the most popular of them averaging about fifteen fares per trip. The charter boats are setting any records either, except maybe negative ones.
The surf casters are doing pretty good too, with lots of bluefish on the sand beaches, and some of the sharpies drilling out some nice bass at night. Paulies Tackle Shop has a striped bass tournament coming up on Fathers Day weekend.
From the MY MATE: Sundays morning trip resulted in a limit of bass to 25 pounds by eight in the morning, so they finished out the trip with about 25 fluke, keeping four.
From the LAZYBONES: Sundays morning trip resulted in fourteen keepers up to nine pounds.
www.nbssportfishing.com
june-bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir its been a great start for salt water fishing. Me and my dad caught 10 Blues in about 1/2 hr today during dead low tide. We were using a cast master and it was a ton of fun out there. However I'm very mad I threw my cast master out there and let it sink so I could get to the big fish at the bottom. As I started to bringing it in I get a hard hit and I hit it for few minutes but then it let it go. What ever it was it was fighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: